Chapter 6

Addison's POV

"Hey, Addison. Good morning."

I politely waved at Ashton as I made my way into the kitchen. I didn't want to come off as rude but I also didn't want to seem like a freeloader either. "Good morning sir."

"It's Ashton," he said as he corrected me with a smile.

"Sorry." I fidgeted in place while I looked around the huge area.

"It's okay. Are you hungry?" he asked as he motioned to the many number of plates laid out on the counters.

"No thank you sir-Ashton." I shook my head at his kind gesture. I hadn't had much of an appetite for anything lately thanks to Diego and Banner but most importantly my mother. He frowned at me for a brief moment before giving me a smile. "Sorry. I just haven't been hungry," I admitted.

"That's okay. I understand. You've been through a lot lately." He grabbed a cup from a cupboard and began to pour some orange juice in it. "Here, if you won't eat...at least drink something."

"Thanks," I whispered as I accepted the cup. "So..." I said slowly as I followed him from the kitchen to the dining room. "Every morning, you set up a buffet line for breakfast?" I asked.

He nodded. "Not just breakfast. It's the same for lunch and dinner. We have a lot of friends and family who live close that come over to eat all the time." He pulled out a chair for me at the table before taking a seat next to me.

"That's nice of you." I took another sip of my orange juice as I tried to think of something to say. "Thank you sir- Ashton for letting me stay here in your home. You didn't have to." I concentrated on my cup as I struggled to get the words out.

"You don't need to thank me. My family was brought up to help those in need...especially family."

"Family? But you don't even know me..."

Ashton smiled as he took a sip of his coffee. "I don't have to know you to know that you belong here." He took another sip before speaking again. "Besides, I always wanted a daughter." He winked at me causing me to giggle. "Just don't tell that to Jacob."

I laughed. "I won't, I promise." I drained the rest of my juice quickly and set my cup down as I glanced at the clock on the wall. "Oh no...I'm late for school!" I shot out of my chair, only for Ashton to grab my arm gently.

"Calm down, you're fine. I thought it would be good for you to sleep in and get some rest."

"But my assignments-"

"Will still be there when you go back." He motioned for me to sit back down next to him. I sighed as I took my seat again. "Speaking of school, Addison...where do you go? The closest school you should've been attending is the same one that Jacob goes to but he said he's never seen you there."

I quickly looked up at him. I knew he would have questions for me but I wasn't ready for them so soon. "Oh, I um walk to East Terrace High. Mom enrolled me there before we moved in with Diego."

"East Terrace? That's a long walk from your house. Why haven't you transferred to the school in this district?" When I lowered my head, Ashton cleared his throat. "I see. Now that you will be staying here, you can continue to go to East Terrace but you will be driven to and from school every day or you can transfer to the school here but no more walking."

I stared at Ashton with a confused look on my face. "Thank you but you don't have to do all of this. I'm sure when my mom comes to her senses, she will expect me to go home and act like nothing ever happened." I shrugged. "I don't mind walking to school, it's good exercise," I joked.

Just as Ashton opened his mouth to respond, Jacob walked into the room holding two plates of food. He bowed slightly to his father before placing a plate of food in front of me. "Morning Addison." As I went to shake my head in protest, he sent me a stern look causing me to stop shaking my head instantly. "Since you skipped dinner, you need to eat breakfast."

"Thanks Jacob but I'm not-"

"I wasn't asking if you were hungry Addison," he interrupted huskily, as he sat down next to me. I couldn't help but nod at his command as if I was compelled and found myself grabbing a piece of bacon from the plate. "Good. When you're done eating, we're going out.  Dad said that I can take you out shopping. We're playing hooky for the day."