Chapter 56

It didn't take long for Yugi and Mahad to get onto stretchers and into ambulances once Mana got the hospital on the phone. She trotted out with the two, being met quickly by teams of paramedics who took the two gingerly and turned away for inspection.

Mana collapsed onto the stairs leading into the apartment complex, her eyes widened and saddened. She watched as two of her best friends were inspected.

Yugi was extremely thin, pale, wasn't responding to any treatments they gave him, and things were looking extremely bad for him.

Mahad, on the other hand, had risks too. He was currently conscious, but he was silent and did nothing but squeak hoarsely when he tried to speak. His eyes were drooping and his cheek had a gaping hole in it, that was numbed as well as the two holes in his neck and the single one under his chin.

"...Ma....n.........a..." He rasped out, his voice full of pain and weakness as an oxygen mask was slipped over his mouth and nose, making his eyes fall lower.

Everything in Mahad's sight began to have a reddish hue. He couldn't look around, but it didn't matter. He had gone completely numb, not being able to feel anything.

He felt the entire world give way, but didn't feel the little hand grasp his own or hear the sobbing voice that cried his name.

~~~~~~~

Yami knelt at Yugi's stretcher as the ambulance went. He couldn't bear seeing Yugi in this state. It was too heartbreaking to see him with gaping holes all throughout his body.

"A-Aibou..." Yami grasped his hand, "I...I don't w-want you...to...give u-up now..."

Yami bit his bottom lip as it began to tremble. He stroked Yugi's hair and silently cried, his tears increasing with every passing moment. Yugi got worse. Slowly, but by bit, Yugi lost his color. The young man that used to liven up Yami's life was dimming.

Yami held him closer, kissing his lips several times before pressing his forehead against Yugi's own. Nothing happened. Yami sighed, his sobs mere whispers as he held his lover.

"Yugi...I l-l-love you..." Yami said, running his fingers slowly and sadly through Yugi's hair.

Nothing happened.

Yami became more discouraged than ever.

~~~~~~~

"MOVE!! OUT OF THE WAY!! WE HAVE EXTREMELY CRITICAL PATIENTS HERE!!! MOVE!!!"

Yugi and Mahad were taken out of the ambulances, though Yugi was in more of a rush than Mahad was. Yugi was extremely cold now, and his body began shaking violently.

Yami ran alongside the crew, clutching Yugi's hand. He spoke to Yugi as though his voice had grown restless and it was the only thing he could do.

"Yugi, p-please..." He choked back a series of sobs, "You're my world...the only one I live for...you make me feel like I mean something...like I have worth...p-please...don't take th-that away..."

They entered the ER, where Yugi was hooked up to several machines in less than 2 minutes.

A heart rate monitor.

A Resuscitator.

Several large IV machines.

Blood Drip.

And so many others. Yugi's position hurt Yami so much. He gripped Yugi's now taped hand with wires in the palms and on the backs. He rested his hand on a Yugi's forehead, suddenly realizing how cold he was.

Yami paled.

This only meant one thing:

Yugi had given up. He was failing. Rapidly, he fell, his heart rate dropping, his blood pressure lowering, and his oxygen intake diminishing faster than anything else. The monitors began to all beep erratically, signaling that the worst had come to be.

"HE'S GOING INTO SHOCK!" One of the surgeons called, "Grab him some warm fluids now! Get him warmed up! Do it now!!!"

Yami paled and shook his head, the tears returning.

"Y-Yugi!!!!" He finally fell to his knees, the sobs escaping from his lips as he watched the doctors try everything, but Yugi never changed, "AI-AIBOU!!!!!"

Yugi's health remained the same, getting steadily worse by the minute. Yami wanted to do something, but he couldn't figure out what.

"P-P-Please..." Yami whispered through his sobs, his voice cracking, "N-N-N-Not...you...t-t-too..."

When nothing happened, Yami lost all hope. He cried beside the operating table, not letting go of Yugi's limp and frozen hand.

Yami suddenly had an idea. He knew able Yugi donating his blood to help Yami when he needed it. He had to repay him somehow. He gently squeezed the hand in his own, kissing it repeatedly.

"I am going t-to help you..." Yami muttered, his breath warm against the cold skin of the limp hand, "No matter...the cost..."

Yami sniffed, straightening up. He looked Yugi in the eyes and he stroked Yugi's bangs protectively, the tears pricking his eyes again. But instead of letting them flow, he closed his eyes, concentrating.

"Y-Yugi...." Yami muttered, slightly shaking from his tension, "I...Am y-your doctor...you...are my l-love..."

Yami concentrated harder, a burning sensation growing on his back. He shrugged it off and only increased his level on concentration. He wouldn't stop.

"I....love you....more than.....you'll...e-ever...know...." Yami opened his eyes to breathe, seeing the same scene before him, with Yugi not changed at all. Yami ignored the tears than fell and closed his eyes again, "Y-You're wellbeing....is.....all......I.....e-ever.....care about......"

Yami suddenly felt all his strength give way and he collapsed onto the floor, staring up At the roof. He was no longer strong enough to hold Yugi's hand. He couldn't hold him anymore. He couldn't walk with him places.

Yami knew it was over for him, but Yugi was just meeting his next beginning. He could tell be the improved statuses Yugi was getting.

Yami stared at the ceiling, watching a figure that could be seen in the lights of the OR. The figure turned and looked at Yami, smiling. It grew large angel wings, and laughed soundlessly.

Yami couldn't see its face, so far away, but as he got closer, he looked into the face of the angel...

And looked into his own face.

And like that, Yami had taken a turn for the worst, but Yugi had taken a turn for the best.