Chapter 42

Yugi returned home that day as solemn as he had arrived. He knew that everything that had happened was all his fault, but he didn't know how he was going to look at Yami again when he woke up.

That is...

if he woke up.

Yugi hated himself for what had happened. If he had only remembered all those warnings...all those signs...he wouldn't be feeling this way.

Yugi lay out on his bed after getting home late and looked at the time. It was 9:30, and he had only just gotten home. He sighed sadly and looked at the ceiling over him.

Tears pricked his eyes again.
"I-I'm sorry..." He muttered, "I...I'm so...sorry..."

There was absolutely nothing he could do at this point. Yami was now suffering from wounds and possible infections that could be occurring at this moment.

All because of him.

He let his tears fall and the power of sleep overwhelmed him and he turned onto his side and closed his eyes, crying himself to sleep.

-----

It was a full moon night. Very pretty, if Yugi was honest with himself.

He didn't know where he was going, but Yugi walked along a road sidewalk, minding his own business. He looked down at the sidewalk as he went, but looked up and looked around.

He walked along a busy street lined with shops and cafes that were only the best in Japan. The road bustled with cars going this way and that. It must have been rush hour because it was very busy.

It was a normal atmosphere and nothing really seemed to be happening in the bustling streets. People walked in and out of shops with various bags and packages in tow with cards and tags on them.

They all went along, minding their own business as Yugi was. Yugi continued to walk, seeing all the people walking past him.
Yugi walked and walked.

And soon, the many shops faded to a couple stores and shops scattered along an interstate highway. Cars whizzed along the road, the passing winds ruffling Yugi's hair. Yugi stopped at an intersection, hoping to cross safely.

He looked right; No cars were coming.

He then looked left; No cars were coming.

He was just about to take his first step when --

POW!!

Yugi jumped when he heard a deafening popping noise followed by screeching Car wheels, and was greeted by a horrifying scene of several cars going head to head, destroying the entire road and destroying each other.

There was one car that had been driven into the ditch and looked more banged up than that of all the others. A body lay beside it, weakly groaning in pain and shaking.

Yugi rushed over along with the many other people who ran out to the other cars. Yugi ran out to this car because it seemed more familiar than all the others.

That's when the terrifying realization was made.

Yugi bent down and turned over the half - corpse...

And looked into the face of Yami.

Yugi paled and he collapsed to his knees, gently but quickly taking Yami into his arms. The body lay half dead in his grasp, the eyes bloodshot and drooping.

Yami looked weakly up at him, his haggard breath the only sound that came clear.

"Ai...b...ou...." Yami breathed, his wounds growing worse.

Hearing and seeing Yami like this made Yugi want to sob harder than ever before. What had Yami done to deserve this. Yugi looked down at him and shook his head slight, gently shushing him.

"Sh, Yami...." He cradled Yami in his arms, gently rocking him, "I-I'm...h-here. I'm R-right here...help I-is on its way....I-I....promise."

Yami remained silent, shivering violently from the pain that slowly grew.

"I...I'm....s....or....ry..." Yami muttered, Yugi stopping slightly.

"N-Now..." Yugi looked down at him, "Why would you be...s-sorry?"

"I...I c-can't..." Yami sniffed slightly and silently, "It...h-h...ur....Ts....too....m-mu....ch...."

Yugi's heart sank at these words. He gently took Yami's hand in his own two and still Yami in his grasp, his eyes tearing up.

"Y-Yes...." Yugi nodded sincerely and desperately, "Y-You can....I-I will...help y-y-you....I p-promise!"

Yami only looked back up at him through his sad, bloodshot, and weakened eyes.

"I....w-wi....sh....." He could only pant in return, ".....it.....wa-as....that.....e-easy...."

Yugi blinked rapidly. He didn't know what else to say.

"B-But it is that easy!" Yugi feel his eyes begin to well up all over again.

Yami only looked up at him, his body growing more worn as the time passed. His eyes were purely bloodshot and he was more worn than he had ever been before.

"A...ib....ou...." Yami gasped for breath, having to contract in order to get breath, "I...I....I c-can't...."

Yugi clutched him, his tears finally falling.

"N-No!" He choked back sobs that threatened in his cracking voice, "Y-You...can!"

Yami weakly and slowly shook his head, his eyes falling lower with every movement he tried to make.

"I-It....hu....rts....." He breathe, weaker,"T...oo.....m....uc.....h....f..or....m....e........"

His eyes began to close and Yugi desperately, but gently shook him. He hiccuped as he did so, dreading the worst to be happening right this very second.

"N-No! Y-Y-Yami, please!!!" Yugi pleaded with Yami, who had become unresponsive.

"Y-Yami!!" Yugi began to shake, staring down at his unmoving Mou Hitori, "P-Please!!! Th-this isn't....funny!!!"

His chest stopped moving and Yugi felt more tears fall down his face and onto the body of Yami as he screamed into the night, sorrow in his voice. He hugged the limp body and sobbed into the chest, whispering Yami's name over and over, shaking his head back and forth.

"N-No....no....n...o...." He began to sob loudly, "N-NO!!!"

-----

Yugi sat straight up in bed, his face stained with tears and his pillow wet from his crying.

"N-No!!" He breathed, panting heavily.

He shook, pulling his knees in and crying harder.

Why did this have to happen?

Why did this have to happen to Yami?

Why did this HAPPEN?