KOTLC BOOK I - ANALYSIS PROJECT

Originally Written: November 2019

Introduction:
Hello friends! This turned out to be about 4,300 words, so let me just tell you what I'll be covering. There's a summary, important details/information section, a character development section, a character's first words section, quotes, and of course other silly things you guys asked me to write about! Have fun reading, feel free to skip around. I did try to be fairly objective, and to keep it entertaining. I hope you enjoy!

Detailed Summary:
(Fair Warning: This may be a little boring, but it's good if you want to remember all the important stuff. Also, these summaries get a lot better after this one).
1. Fires (everblaze) form around San Diego in the shape of a swan.
2. The Black Swan lead Fitz and Alden to Sophie with a article.
3. Fitz convinces her she's a elf by telling her she used telekinesis to hold the light pole, and by light leaping her to the Lost Cities.
4.Sophie almost gets kidnapped by Gethen, but Mr. Forkle one ups him telepathicly, and makes him leave. Then Fitz takes Sophie to Everglen, she is allowed to go to Foxfire with a vote of 2/3 from the Councillors. They plan to revisit this in a year to determine if she can continue to go the Foxfire.
5. Sophie has to leave her family.
6. She's taken to Atlantis by Alden to have her memory probed by Quinlin. When they can't, they determine she has an impenetrable mind.
7. Sophie meets Grady and Edaline.
8. Sophie meets Dex, and he tells her there friends, and says he'll lightleap with her to her first day at Foxfire.
9. Sophie is completely lost, Jensi and Marella swoop in at different times to meet her, and help her out.
10. Keefe becomes the first person to take Sophie to the healing center, after she explodes something in Alchemy.
11. Sophie saves Iggy from the verminion.
12. The splotching championship happens, Sophie ties with Fitz—far exceeding what a level two should be able to do. Then she accidentally uses a brain push (something only the ancients have the time to master), and she and Fitz end up in the healing center.
13. Biana reaches out to Sophie after rejecting her since they met. She's pushed to do so by Alden.
14. Sophie cheats to find out what will be on her Alchemy midterm with her telepathy. She confesses to cheating, and receives detention till midterms.
15. Keefe and Sophie bond in detention, and Sophie finds out he's a Empath, Keefe is a little freaked that Sophie's emotions are so strong.
16. Sophie passes midterms with the help of Dex's tutoring skills.
17. The Black Swan leave a light leaping crystal to the forbidden cities in Sophie's locker. She doesn't know what it is for a while.
18. Sophie bottles the light of a unmapped star, Elmentine. She get really bad burns and Dex has to call Elwin.
19. Sophie's first tribunal for catching light from a unmapped star, and then bringing quintessence to Foxfire. They decide it's not her fault, but she has to be descryed by Councillor Terik. He can't explain what he sees. He says two words, "incredible" and "fascinating".
20. Sophie is supposed to record any implanted memories that resurface.
21. Dex accidentally gives Sophie an allergic reaction from a potion he gives her. She almost dies, and freaks the hell out of Elwin, as well as Grady and Edaline.
22. Sophie is exhausted from almost dying, but she tells Grady and Edaline she loves them for the first time.
23. Gildie, the flaredon shows up, Edaline yells at Sophie because she's paranoid about fire.
24. Tiergan gives Sophie a pep talk, (that now rings extra sweet) because he's clearly taking from a Black Swan perspective about how she gets to make her own choices about who she is.
25. Sophie starts investigating the fires around the Forbidden Cities.
26. Sophie finds out Grady and Edaline cancelled her adoption.
27. Sophie finds a clue from the Black Swan, and more tools to stop the fires.
28. Sophie tells Alden about the Black Swan's messages, he makes her promise to not do anything (she will clearly be doing something).
29. Dex and Sophie have a really big fight . . .
30. The Black Swan give Sophie a Spyball, and the names of her human family.
30. Sophie takes Gildie to the forbidden cities, and she collects Everblaze using the tools and hidden memories the Black Swan give her.
31. She gets in big trouble. She's going to definitely face a tribunal. Grady stupidly tries to say he mesmered her to do it, Sophie won't let that happen, plus Alden doesn't even believe it. Sophie did find evidence that an elf caused the fires, though.
32. Stina sucks, and tells Sophie that Alden had to force Biana to be her friend. Which is true, but Biana now considers her a genuine friend.
33. Sophie is frustrated with everyone. She storms off to the caves with Iggy.
34. When she gets to the cave she is gagged, and her attackers try to drug her, she fights back hard. She hears Dex coming to apologize to her, before she can tell him to run, he's being kidnapped too.
35. Sophie fades in and out of consiousness, she tries transmitting to Fitz, and just anyone a few times, the kidnappers try to get into her head to find Black Swan secrets. When they can't, then they threaten to torture Dex, she convinces them not to, but then they decide they'll just kill her and Dex.
36. This whole time Sophie believes the kidnappers are the Black Swan. Then she realizes, why would they kill their own creation? And wouldn't they know what they implanted in her head? She decides it can't be the Black Swan.
37. Our good man, our reliable wise guy, Mr. Forkle, comes to rescue Sophie and Dex. He has to leave them in Paris though after he treats their wounds. He triggers Sophie's inflicting and polyglot abilities. And Sophie notices he says, "you kids..." and she realizes it's Mr. Forkle, her neighbor.
38. Mr. Forkle left them with a clue to get home, and they find the light leaping crystal hidden on a bridge, Dex has just manifested his ability as a technopath, but then the kidnappers catch up.
39. They blast Dex with a melder, three times, at point black range. This makes Sophie explodes, and she inflicts for the first time. Then Sophie lightleaps her and Dex, putting ALL of her concentration around Dex.
40. Sophie realizes she's fading. She tries a last time to reach out to Fitz, and this time he responds. Soon Keefe and Fitz find Sophie and Dex by the Four Seasons tree.
41. Somehow Fitz slips past Sophie mental blocking and starts transmitting to her while they wait for Biana to show up with Elwin.
42. Elwin works for two weeks bringing Sophie back from being so faded she was translucent. Dex turned out to be fine, he didn't even loose a cell in the leap. Fitz can now transmit to Sophie, but only transmit.
43. Sophie finds out she had been missing for three and half weeks. Sophie is also told that she and Dex were presumed dead.
44. Grady and Edaline and Sophie make up!
45. Sophie accidentally inflicts on Sandor when she first sees him.
46. Alden explains her new abliites.
47. Sophie recounts everything she can remember about her kidnappers. She identifies Gethen, and Mr. Forkle. They suspect Mr. Forkle has been the one to trigger all of her abilities.
48. At the tribunal the Councillors basically say that they'll call it equal. They won't punish Sophie, because they kind of failed her, by letting a twelve year old get kidnapped by a secret organization they didn't even know about.
49. Sophie's allowed to continue at Foxfire! Alden negotiated through policy loopholes that Sophie could still go to Foxfire, despite missing finals.
50. Sophie agrees to live with Grady and Edaline! It's all really cute, and happy. And a rare occurrence, Shannon Messenger didn't make any cliffhangers!