Sorry Isn't Enough

"Lydia, please. I-it wasn't me!" He exclaimed but she was already gone. She was mad at him, mad at herself, mad at her dad, mad at the world. She slammed her bedroom door after her. This was definitely the worst morning she'd had in a LONG time. 'Look at that, you pushed her away. Just like you always do.' His demon told him. Beetlejuice's eyebrows furrowed in anger. "SHUT UP! I DON'T WANT YOU ANYMORE!" He exclaimed, gripping his hair in his hands. 'I can't be forced out, Lawrence.' BJ shook his head. "DON'T CALL ME THAT!" He screamed as he quickly summoned some pills and swallowed them, sighing deeply. He clasped his hands over his mouth and sank down to his knees, tears streaming down his face. He buried his face in his knees and he sobbed. 'I'll be bac-...' the voice faded out slowly as Beetlejuice gripped his pants in his hands tightly.

Lydia sat at her desk and sobbed, drowning in self-hatred. Was she really this horrible that everyone wanted to run away from her? She was trying to comfort him, being kind for once, and even then, he was too afraid of her to stick around. He had probably only said those nice things out of pity. They probably weren't true. He didn't love her. She bet he really hated her like she did right now, but what about his hair? He couldn't control that. She knew he couldn't. She pulled at her hair as she sobbed onto the cold wood. She shouldn't have ever let him in. He was going to destroy her for what she told him, like her bullies had in New York. She just knew it. She hated this. She hated herself. She knew she wasn't anything like he said. She wasn't strong, or beautiful, or kind, or of any worth whatsoever. She deserved exactly what she had always been given. He had probably left the second she stormed up here.

Beetlejuice wept bitterly on the floor. He didn't mean to leave her. He loved her more than anything. He hated that he had caused her pain. He wiped his tears as he took a deep shaky breath. He had lived in his past for so long that he couldn't shake it away. His hair was a deep blue as he sighed deeply before slowly moving to the couch in the living room. Charles sighed and stood up from his armchair. He quietly walked into the kitchen, sighing as he saw the broken glass. He went to grab a broom to clean it up. The ghost felt exhausted as he laid down on the couch, not sure what to do. He shook his head and pulled at his hair. "You idiot, Lawrence! Why would you do that?!" He grunted as he stared at the ceiling. Charles stopped mid-sweep as he heard Beetlejuice yelling, listening intently. "She needs you!" 

Charles head perked up at the mention of what he assumed was Lydia. 'What was he saying about her?' He asked himself.

 "Why would you leave her?! You need her. God, you stupid bastard!" The ghost clenched his eyes shut in anger, his hair a mix of red and blue. He shook his head sadly. Charles walked back into the room with furrowed eyebrows. "I'm sorry, Lydia. I'm so sorry." BJ said quietly.

Lydia hit her desk in frustration and sorrow, burying her face in her crossed arms. She took a deep shaky breath. 'He had probably lied when he said he loved me. Why would anyone love me?' She thought as tears continued to stream down her face and onto her desk.

Her father crossed his arms as he glared at the ghost. He shook his head, "If she's furious about you abandoning her then perhaps be with her." Beetlejuice jumped and opened his eyes, looking up at Charles with both confusion and fear. His hair tinted white. "No use whining over it. Prove to her that you are serious or not." Charles sighed deeply and rubbed the bridge of his nose. He couldn't believe he was actually trying to help the kid, but Delia was right; this fool really had helped Lydia heal. "Even if she doesn't forgive you or acknowledge your existence, being with her will help." He huffed, almost acting like giving him this advice was torcher. 

Beetlejuice looked up at Charles, almost stunned."I-w-What?" The ghost sat up in his seat and stared up at Charles. BJ nodded his head lightly looking down to the ground. He knew that even if he asked, the man wouldn't answer him. He stood up slowly and looked at Charles thankfully, his hair losing some of its white tint. "O-ok." He said quietly as he turned and left. Charles shook his head and promptly went into the kitchen to clean up his mess. He'd never admit it, but he secretly hoped they'd work this out. He actually felt guilty for yelling at them earlier. He'd hate to think their new relationship would be destroyed because of him, no matter how much he disliked the boy.

 BJ walked up the stairs slowly, trying to think about what he'd say. He stood at Lydia's door, taking a deep breath before knocking quietly. "L-Lydia?" He called. She didn't answer his call. She simply stood up and walked away from the door. She leaned on the windowsill as tears continued to fall down her cheeks. He was the last person she wanted to see right now. She took deep breaths as she tried to calm down, not wanting him to see the tears she'd been crying for him. Beetlejuice sighed deeply, wiping his face before he slowly opened her door. "Lydia." He said softly, not stepping into her room. "C-can I explain?" He asked, scared she'd say no. "I-I didn't mean to try and leave you." He said as he scratched his arms.

"You didn't mean to?!" She snapped, whipping around to face him. The ghost jumped as she raised her voice. Stubborn tears continued to flow down her face. "Seriously?" She crossed her arms before turning back around,"This better be good." She growled as she tried to wipe her eyes. There was no way he was going to be able to convince her he 'hadn't meant to'.

He gulped before nodding his head and taking a step into her room. "Y-yes" he sighed, his hair a deep blue. "I-I have a voice in my head. He, he ties me to my past. He told me to leave." He explained quietly.

Lydia laughed pessimistically," 'A voice in your head.' " She repeated. She could say the same thing about every bad decision she'd ever made.

"I tend to listen to him when I'm upset. He's the one who told me to leave you." Beetlejuice sighed again, shaking his head lightly. "I-I would never leave you, Lydia." He spoke softly. "I....I love you. You mean more to me than anything else in the world." He scratched his arm violently. Lydia turned around at those three words, glaring at him. Her arms remained crossed as she shook her head and seethed. She didn't believe him. She wasn't going to let him fool her twice. "I understand that you're mad. You have every right to be. I just wanted to apologize." He said quietly as he scratched his arms. She sat silently on the edge of her bed, refusing to face him. He sighed deeply and shook his head. "I'm telling the truth, Lydia." He said, sighing again as he looked to the ground. His hair remained a deep blue and purple. He glanced at her before returning his gaze to the floor. He shook his head lightly and clenched his hair in his hands. 

She scoffed and shook her head, glaring at the kids running across the street through her window. She knew if she spoke she'd yell and she didn't want to force him into another memory or whatever."I truly am sorry, I try and fight him. I try and shut him out." He shook his head, tears building in his eyes. "That's one of the main reasons why I smoke." He explained as he continued scratching his arms. "It...it drowns him out for a while." Lydia huffed and shook her head as she closed her arms. His reasons made sense. She understood how hard it was to not listen to voices sometimes, but she still refused to accept his apology. 

Even if it hadn't been on purpose like he said, his actions had really hurt her. It had dug up years of pain that she had been holding onto. That's why she couldn't stop crying, even now. She took a deep breath and curled up into a ball. She wished he'd just leave like he was going to, finish her off already. He sighed as she still didn't say anything. He knew she was mad. He looked down at the ground before slowly sitting down right then and there. He sat with his legs crossed as he stared at the ground, stabbing her dark purple carpet with his fingers. 

He knew how hard going through stuff alone was. He knew that having someone there helped, even if you didn't want them there at first. He sat in silence, just picking at his nails. Lydia sighed and buried her face in her comforter for a few minutes. "You can tell me when you want me to leave and I will." He said quietly as he continued picking at his nail polish.