Chapter Thirteen - Ben

Reid^

I've been waiting for Justin almost twenty minutes, and he still hasn't emerged from the school building. I watch as students stream out, talking in little huddles. Justin always said they remind him of a pack of wolves. With the leaders up front, growling at everyone else and issuing orders, and the weaklings tagging along behind, always looking for some form of approval. I sigh, leaning against the school sign, turning my gaze to the sky.

"What are you doing?" Fiona taps me on the shoulder and I glance down at her, sighing.

"Waiting for my friend."

I refrain from saying his name, Fiona still gets weird whenever I mention him. She knows who I'm talking about, however, folding her arms and glaring up at me. I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Why don't you ride with me?" she asks.

"Because I don't want to."

Something about her makes me want to run the opposite direction. I never felt that before last year, back in lab partner days. Back when Justin could actually function as a human being. Back when I didn't even think about college or anything except quadratic equations.

Fiona frowns at me, "Why?"

Her never ending stream of questions never seem to stop. Glancing around for any sign of Justin, I see a flash of spiky multicolored hair and the next thing I know, Reid has her arms around my neck in some strange form of a hug. I grab her arm to keep from falling back against the school sign. She grins and lets me go, "If it isn't my future Vice President."

I roll my eyes at her. I haven't known Reid for that long but it seems like forever. She doesn't beat around the bush like other people do. I watch Fiona narrow her eyes at Reid, "Who is this?"

"Reid," I say as she puts an arm through mine.

"You two are... together?" her fawn eyes focus on Reid who shakes her head.

Reid extends her hand, "Reid Zuckerberg, venture capitalist, future president, she/her or they/them, I'm not that picky, and, not dating him. Ever. I don't do dudes...Or anyone for that matter. It's like the economy if you think about it. A free market won't suck up to anyone, it just is."

That's the thing with Reid, she'll always find ways to compare everything with the economy or government.

She leans against the sign and I sigh, checking my phone to see if Justin has some explanation as to why he hasn't arrived yet. Nothing. With another heavy sigh, I rub the side of my face, trying to tune out Reid and Fiona's bickering. That's another thing about Reid, she has to argue her point on everything. It doesn't matter what or why, she has to be right.

Fiona tosses her loose strawberry blonde curls, which sends a small pang through my chest. She had reddish curls that rolled down to her shoulders. Like if someone punched me in the gut, her face appears in my head again.

I didn't even know her that well, she was always just Justin's sister. The girl sitting across the table when I stayed at his house. She'd sometimes ask to play video games with us.

We'd always say no.

Your fault, your fault, your fault.

I shake my head, drawing myself back to reality. I have no time to dwell on matters that do not concern me. Yet her memory keeps haunting me.

Just as I slip my phone back into my hoodie pocket, someone calls me. A small flicker of hope ignites in me as I check the caller ID. I grin. Justin. "Hello?" I say, trying to sound as cheerful as possible.