"You mean to say that my DNA is dying when I'm awake? It's dying right now?" He looked around, horrified, as if maybe he'd maybe be able to see the demise of his genetic information hovering in the air before him.

"Well," I didn't want to scare Gareth but what could I say? "Yes. So, I guess everyone knows that sleep helps us to recharge and restore our bodies, right? But the true purpose of sleep is actually still quite a mystery. Some scientists overseas have hypothesised that perhaps the main reason is to repair our DNA."

Gareth looked freaked, and I pressed on, aware that I hadn't really explained properly yet.

"So, it's kinda normal everyday wear and tear. Everybody's DNA breaks during the daytime when they're awake. There was this study conducted on these genetically engineered tiny transparent zebrafish which had these colourful chemical tags attached to the chromosomes in their neurons that allowed the scientists to observe, using microscopes, how often their DNA was broken when they were asleep compared to when they were awake." Lara stared at me, fascinated. Rafe leaned back, smirking slightly at their expressions.

"Smart girl, huh?" He said, proudly. His phone rang and he started. Lara met his eyes for a second and he nodded at her and she pressed her lips together. "Get me the puttanesca, would you? I need to take this." And he edged out of the booth, and walked out into the cold night.

"Of course you'd want that!" Called Gareth after him. What does that even mean?

I stared at Lara, who sighed and replied, "You don't really want to-"

"-Know what that means in Italian!" Interrupted Gareth. THe faintest memory from A Series of Unfortunate Events flickered in my mind, and I smiled. The waiter came by and we ordered, and he collected our menus, bringing over table water and cutlery.

"Anyways, zebrafish?" Gareth tapped at his glass.

"Right. So when they were sleep deprived, their DNA broke to such an extent that some of their neurons had so much genetic damage that they were in actual danger of dying off; their chromosomes changed heaps. Way more than those of the sleeping fishes."

Gareth laughed drily. "My chromosomes sleep with the fishes."

"Yes, well, there is good news. When the researchers let the fish sleep, there was less DNA damage in their neurons. Chromosomes constantly change shape anyway 'cos our cells have natural mechanisms which repair the DNA but when we're awake, the mending can't keep up with the damage rate, right? Whereas when we sleep, it can. Some scientists believe that when we're seriously tired, like I am right now, neurons accumulate so much damage that they signal to the brain that we utterly must go to sleep in order to fix the damage and, like, avoid going into an unsafe zone."

I tapped my fingers on the table and sneaked a glance at Lara and Gareth, worried they'd be judging me, or making fun of me. They weren't. A smile played on Lara's lips and in that moment she looked so similar to Rafe. Gareth was staring at me in wonder, looking ever so intrigued. I peered around the restaurant, catching sight of Rafe having an animated conversation on the phone. It looked like a vicious argument. Turning back to the people sitting before me, I continued on.

"These are relatively new studies and scientists are still investigating the effects of sleep deprivation on mice and other mammals, but they're very sure that the Same thing happens with humans. There was also this study using blood samples that conducted in Hong Kong that bolstered the link between sleep deprivation and DNA damage in overworked doctors. So yeah, it's pretty compelling evidence and that's why it's sooo important that we get enough sleep."

I yawned. I really was so exhausted. I drowned again last night and woke up before the sun had even risen. Although the streets had been so dark, I went running, and, as if drawn by some magnetic force, I found myself tugged through the forest, to the cliffs again. I had that urge again, to feel myself tip over the edge, but managed to resist. It was so dangerous. I tumbled out of the forest, as fast as I could, caught one of the earliest trams back to the hotel and locked myself in the bathroom for ages. Finally, I'd managed to quiet my rapidly beating heart, buff away some of the shadows beneath my eyes with concealer.