C H A P T E R O N E

Start from the beginning

"We are not going any damn where," David argued, snatching his arm away. "You are going back to where you came from."

"Now, why are you acting like you don't wanna be with me?" Brandy asked, fixing his shirt.

"It's not an act, I really don't want you," David pointed out. "Raegan! Please tell your damn friend to leave me alone."

Raegan shook her head, humming to herself. "That is not my problem."

David sucked his teeth and quickly walked over to where she was sitting, "I know you heard me calling your damn name."

Raegan laughed, placing a bookmark in the book. "Brandy, sit down. Leave him alone."

David looked down at the book she was reading. "You gon' send me everything I need to know about that book? Cause I really don't feel reading that shit."

"Sure, but you're gonna have to memorize everything" Regan shrugged, looking up at him. "We have an in class quiz next week."

David sucked his teeth and pulled out his phone. "Man, I'll just come through and study with you before the quiz. I gotta go, my boys waiting on me."

Reagan smiled and waved. "Okay, bye. I'll see you later."

"I think I'll go w—" Brandy started to say as she stood up, but Raegan pulled her back down. "Ouch!"

"You're not going with him," Raegan spoke as he walked away, texting on his phone. "I don't get why you're so obsessed with him, like am I missing something?"

"Yeah, he's fine as hell." Brandy reminded, grabbing a grape.

"Okay, he's cute. However, he's stated many times that he wants nothing to do with you." Raegan pointed out, picking up her book. "I'm just saying, you can date anybody on this campus. Why be stuck on just him?"

"I could be asking you the same thing." Brandy retorted, raising her eyebrows.

Raegan shook her head, choosing not to respond to her smart comment. "I'm going inside after I finish this chapter."

••

Terrance was in his backyard, practicing his jump shot on his basketball court when he was interrupted

"Terrance, the phone is for you!" Sanaa called out, standing on the deck.

"I don't understand why people keep calling the damn house phone as if I don't have a whole damn cellphone," Terrance sucked his teeth, shooting the ball before jogging to get the phone. "Thanks."

Sanaa handed him the phone, before walking back inside the house. Terrance put the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" Terrance spoke into the phone, waiting to see who was on the other line.

"Yo! What your phone broke or some shit?" David questioned through the phone. "We been blowing your shit up all day."

"I must have it on do not disturb, cause I ain't getting no calls," Terrance answered, walking to get his cellphone out the grass where he placed it. "What y'all blowin' my shit up for anyways?"