Thirty five - Near death

You couldn't help but cry. Waiting for an ambulance would take too long. You remembered seeing a hospital just half a mile away. You put his left arm around your neck and carried him up, holding his body with your right arm. You did your best to make him walk with you to the nearest hospital. In just about 3 minutes you made it inside the emergency room. An ambulance would've taken at least 5.

you: someone please help him! he's lost a lot of blood and needs stitches right away.

The nurses and doctors rushed to Johnny and told you to wait in the waiting room. They placed him on a stretcher and wheeled him away. You watched them take him away into the ER operating rooms. It all seemed surreal. To think that just a few hours ago you were gazing into each other's eyes and happy. Now you didn't even know if he'd survive his injuries. A nurse handed you paperwork and asked for Johnny's ID. But that wasn't it, she also asked how he got so badly hurt. This was very troublesome. Your dad would know what to do in this scenario. But you had no idea what to do or say. You panicked even more until Jaehyun came to your rescue.

You saw him walk in through the doors and he took care of everything. He gave her a fake ID and info. He also made up a story for Johnny's wounds. It was quite impressive. So professional like he was the man in charge. After he got done dealing with the legal stuff he came towards you to sit by you. He handed you a cup of water. It was awkward. You both looked straight ahead and avoided eye contact. You didn't say a thing. You felt like this whole thing was your fault.

jaehyun: ugh i hate dealing with hospitals. are you okay?

you: I'm fine. thanks to Johnny

jaehyun: what happened?

you: he said it was a rival gang

jaehyun: no i know that. what i was asking was why did you find yourself in this situation?

you: idk? bad luck?

jaehyun: what were you two doing out of school and so far away from home?

you: look. what me and johnny do is none of your business. thanks for helping us out here but don't think that it changes anything

Jaehyun sighed and stood up to get back to work.

jaehyun: you know, it might be hard to believe but i also want what's best for john. we're not just rivals, he's also my only friend

As he left he said one last thing.

jaehyun: when he wakes up tell him he doesn't owe me anything. he saved you and that's all that matters to me

You felt kind of bad for being so mean to him but were too shy to apologize. You were alone again. Waiting there felt like forever. Two hours went by but still no news. You told yourself that this only meant doctors weren't giving up on him. It was driving you crazy not knowing. You eventually decided to text Rin back telling her not to worry about you, you'd be back to school soon.

A doctor in a long coat approached you. He had a very serious face on. You pictured the worst. Your mind was going absolutely insane.

doctor: miss y/n for john?

you: yes that's me

doctor: let's sit down i have quite a lot to tell you

Oh no. It sounded like bad news were coming.

doctor: so i was told you're the girlfriend?

you: who told you that?

doctor: his paperwork, i simply read it

you: yes you could say that

doctor: well your boyfriend lost a lot of blood, had multiple deep lacerations. a lot of work had to be done. we had to [...]

He kept speaking of all these medical terms about what they did to johnny but you just zoned out. Your heart was falling out of your chest. It sounded worse than you imagined. There was only one thing you were interested in. Was he alive?

doctor: we lost his heartbeat a few times but thankfully were able to revive him. if he had came in just a few minutes later, he probably would've died before getting to us.
He's gonna make it miss. He's currently recovering from surgery in room 127. He hasn't woken up yet. Might have a shock so i recommend you take it easy.

Your eyes glistened and you were so happy to hear this. You hugged and thanked the man then went straight to Johnny's room. You got there as quickly as you could. He was waking up.

johnny: who are you?

~