ch. 10 (nekoma as in cat?)

I heard that Hinata got lost while doing training, and it made me mad. I almost called him brat again, but I managed not to say it.

Coach is now showing the team the starting line up, which is really unusual.

"It's a configuration you're barely used to, so I'm not expecting you to synchronize right away. We now have an amazing libero, and the ace has returned, but don't rely on those facts or think victory is assured. Victory goes to a team that connects. Let's see how this configuration works in the battle against Karasuno's long-standing rival."

I want to give moving speeches, too. But, I don't want to be the one to choose the starting members. I guess coach is the one better for this job; he's not biased.

Practice went by in a blur, and it's time for Kikyo and I to distribute the team's jerseys.

Hinata was complaining about the number, saying that Kageyama's better than him since he's a number lower than him. I rolled my eyes at him, but didn't make a nasty comment like I used to.

"I guess you don't remember that number, because you only saw it once on TV, right?" Daichi said. "The Little Giant wore #10 when he went to the nationals."

Hinata's eyes widened. "Wahh! Amazing! This is destiny!"

"By the way," coach interjected, "The Little Giant that Hinata admires played on the best team Karasuno has ever had. But, even then, Karasuno never defeated Nekoma. Not even once. It was one loss after another. I want you to turn tables on them. Now, let's practice."

"Nekoma must be very good," sensei said. "What's their team like?"

I don't know now, but in the past, the team has had very solid receives. It's not that they had outstanding players; they just had no holes. They were the opposite of our team. They lived up to their 'Neko' name; they're flexible."

----------

I was buying iced-coffee and chips from the vending machine, since nobody's around to tell me not to. I uncapped the bottle, and popped a million medications in my mouth. I downed them all with the coffee, and let out a sigh.

"Man, I'm so tired," I exhaled.

"Is that why you've been really quiet lately?"

I jumped a mile up in the sky at the sudden voice. I turned around to see Daichi, Sugawara, and Asahi. Seeing who it was, I quickly hid the iced-coffee behind my back.

"H-Hey, guys. Oh, and if you were wondering, this is iced-tea that is...um...coffee flavored?" I pathetically lied though my teeth, and mustered a fake smile.

"Sora-san," Sugawara said, concern laced in his voice, "Are you alright?"

Oh, crud. They noticed.

I twirled a strand of my unbraided hair, and grinned. "I'm fine, you guys. What's with the interrogation?"

"We noticed that you've been...quieter than usual," Daichi said.

I faked indignation by flaring my nostrils. "Are you saying that I'm loud?! How dare you!" They sweat-dropped at me and nervously backed away. I know I'm very open about my feelings, and I know I shouldn't lie to my friends, but I can't burden them with my petty problems.

Asahi scratched the back of his neck. "Daichi-san's right, though. Even though I came back just recently, I noticed that something changed within you."

They're cornering me. Since coach isn't here, I can now act like my usual self.

I calmly sighed, before gripping Asahi's shirt collar, and bringing his face dangerously close to mine. "Listen here, goofball brat. Your Death Penalty count is so high, I ran out of space in my clipboard to note how many you have! Now, if you're planning on leaving us again, know that I'm going to make your life a living hell by imposing my training regimen on you. In fact, I have dug up my 'Ace' training regimen files, and I warn you, it doesn't look pretty."