Chapter 2: The Devil's Apprentice

Start from the beginning

Her eyes bore into me. The mischievous smile of the demon on top of me grew as she had me absolutely at her mercy and she knew it. Her grip on one of my wrists loosened, and she rubbed little circles on the skin there. My mouth ran dry. I was almost certain this whole thing was a nightmare, but nightmares didn't have this much sexual tension in them, did they?

"You owe me something, Lily. And I want it now," the demon whispered in my ear in a singsong voice, and only then did I notice how hot she was. Literally. Her crimson skin was warm to touch, as well as her breath on my ear. It gave me goosebumps all over. She pulled away slightly and drew her face closer to mine, looking at me with her pitch-black eyes, which flashed red for a second. She must have found the look of absolute terror and confusion on my face hilarious because then she burst out into a booming laugh, sitting up straight and floating off of me.

"Playing with humans will never get tiresome," the seductress almost rasped, watching me in amusement.

"Who the heck are you?!" I asked as I clutched onto my furniture—an attempt to regain some of my dignity back by hoisting my body up to a standing position.

"Oh, honey. I'm sure you already know the answer to that question," she grinned at me, twirling her tail with her finger for emphasis. "You can call me Eve."

"Eve? Aren't you a demon?"

"Well, the devil actually. Or the devil's apprentice, if you really go all technical on it. I still would like to be called by my name," she shrugged, walking over to my lounge chair and elegantly reclining on it.

I remained standing in place. "An apprentice?"

The devil rolled her eyes and groaned, waving her hand dismissively. "What is this, twenty questions? Yes, I'm an apprentice and my boss, Satan, is currently on vacation."

"Are you fucking with me?"

Because despite the coiling four-inch horns on her head and the very realistic tail behind her, I still couldn't just believe every word that came out of her mouth. If I thought about it, I definitely shouldn't have believed anything that came out of her mouth because of the horns and tail.

"Careful, you're being a little speciesist there," Eve said, sounding like she literally just read my mind. And as if to mock my thoughts further, she grinned and bared her fangs at me. "What, I'm not trustworthy because of the tail, the skin, a little pointy horn here and there?"

"You just said you're the devil!"

"Apprentice, darling. I can never compare to the real thing. And do I look like I fuck with someone for kicks?" Eve chuckled darkly, resting her elbow on my chair and framing her perfect little heart-shaped face with her palm. I raised an eyebrow at her, forgetting for a second that I was supposed to be afraid of her.

The devil's apprentice threw her head back in laughter that I could only describe as pure evil. "You're absolutely right! I love fucking with humans for fun. Ah, you're definitely an upgrade from the last human I talked to, that's for sure. With her, I only had to pretend to be a genie to get what I wanted."

And then I swallowed the lump in my throat. Right there was the problem. What she wanted. What did a creature like her want?

"Why are you here?" I asked, daring to meet her dark eyes.

"Finally," she smirked knowingly. "I am here on official Hell business and you, Lily, owe me something."

I took a step back unconsciously, tightly gripping the foyer table beside me. Owing people is never good news, but owing the devil something? "What do I owe you?" I asked nervously, not wanting to hear what she would say next, because I got an inkling of what it was and it rhymed with pole.