Chapter 18; Back To School

Start from the beginning

He saw how bright red my face was as I lay beneath him, my tongue too tied with nerves to even hope to be able to get a single word out.

Midoriya...he was...so close to me...

His body...his soft, warm body had been pressing against mine just seconds before...

Why was my heart beating so fast?

His own face practically went crimson and his voice seemed to raise an octave. "O-O-Oh my goodness, I-I-I-I'm so sorry, I didn't think we'd fall down like this, are you okay?!"

"U-U-U-U-Um...I...um...I-I...I'm..."  I went into a full blown flustered panic, screwing up my eyes and forcing out the first words that came to mind. "Good morning!"

"G-G-G-Good morning to you too!"

"I-I-I-I-I-I hope you're well, Midoriya!"

"You're both hopeless," Sho-chan said with a sigh, yanking Midoriya up by the scruff of his shirt before taking my hand and pulling me to my feet.

"Th-Thanks, Todoroki," Midoriya said sheepishly.

Me? I was still too flustered to get any proper words out. Midoriya...he...and I...so close...so warm...

I felt my face flush further as I sort of retreated into my hoodie like a turtle, wishing it'd swallow me whole. What was wrong with me? Why was my heart hammering against my chest so loudly that I could practically hear it in my ears?

Was it...because of Midoriya?

No...because it was Midoriya?

***

Katsuki POV

I was far too irritated to pay attention to the names of the four extras that were put into my group for the stupid race in Field Gama. All Might had said to keep the property damage to a bare minimum while pointing at me but seeing how pissed off I was after watching Deku prance through the air trying to look like me, not blowing up the entire fucking joint out of rage was going to be really fucking difficult.

I stood at the starting location All Might had given me, stretching my limbs and popping my joints as I waited for the distress signal. Time to blow off some fucking steam. To remind everyone that I was going to be number one.

The piercing airhorn noise rang out and I shot off into the air, scanning the labyrinth of factories. There he was. All Might.

I began propelling myself towards him. It didn't look like any of those side characters had seen him yet. Easy victory, motherfuckers. No way I could lose something like this.

Or so I thought.

Because then I saw a short and skinny girl tucking her right shin under her thigh and pointing her left sneaker towards the ground, gently flapping her scaly wings as she tried to lower herself down beside All Might.

The fuck, how was she that fast all of a sudden?

Oh hell no I was going to lose to her.

Come on, come on, faster, faster, more speed, more fucking speed...

She carefully landed on the ground with a little bounce, floaty white dress billowing around her legs as she did so. "Yay! I managed to do it without falling-"

She was cut off by me crashing into the ground beside her and she let out a shriek, toppling and falling onto her ass.

"...over."

"DAMN IT!" I yelled, furiously pounding at the floor in frustration, all the previous irritation inside me doubling. "DAMN IT, DAMN IT, DAMN-"

"B-Bakugo, are you alright?!"