Chapter 8; A New Day

Felicity POV

~ Reminiscence ~

~ The Nagai Household ~

- 12 Years Ago ~

Black and White Frame

I gasp and my eyes widen in surprise. I can't believe what I'm seeing.

There is a small golden haired dog running around our kitchen, barking madly.

Happiness flows through me and I run over to pet him.

"A dog, a dog, a dog, you got me a dog, Papa!"

I drop onto my knees and the fluffy little puppy licks my face madly, making me giggle. He's jumping around, happy that I'm playing with him and happy to have a new friend.

Papa laughs. "Happy birthday, Felix."

"Thank you so much! I've always wanted a doggie and a doggie just like this one!"

He smiles. "I saw your scrapbook and I finally decided to take the hint. He's a golden retriever. He won't always be this small, he'll be very big soon so you'll need to take him on lots of walks. You don't mind, do you?"

I hug the little puppy gently and he gives me a big slobbery kiss. "I like big dogs the best. And when he grows up all big and strong and when I become a hero, he can be my sidekick!"

Papa laughs and pats my head. "Good girl, Felix." He stays smiling but he now looked a little sad. "I know she promised and she did her best to get here but I'm sorry Momma couldn't make it. You do understand, don't you?"

I smile at Papa. I am a little sad that Momma never made for my birthday especially since four is a very important age but I do understand. Momma is a hero and she's saving people right now. And saving lives is the best type of birthday present I could ask her for.

I nod. "I do. And the next time I see her, I'll show her that I'm going to be a hero just like her! And my puppy too!"

Papa gives me a hug. "I'm so glad I gave in and got you this little guy."

"I love, love, love him!"

"Do you know what you want to name him?"

"Bailey, Bailey, Bailey, Bailey! After my favourite book ever, ever, ever!"

"Bailey it is then." He takes my hand. "Come on, let's kill the cake."

"For breakfast?"

"It's your birthday, isn't it?"

"Can Bailey have some too?"

"That would make him all sick, honey. And we don't want that, do we?"

My eyes are huge. "No, I don't want Bailey to get sick at all. Can doggies not have cake?"

"I'm afraid not." He picks me up gently and carefully seats me on the seat at the head of the table. I stare at him with wide eyes.

"I can sit at the top?"

He smiles and ruffles my hair, brown eyes twinkling. "Why not? You're a big girl now, Felix." His face looks a little worried though but then he brightens. "Anyway, cake!"

He walks into the kitchen and returns with a birthday cake, covered in white icing and it has little iced pink and blue flowers among the four bright, glowing, pink and white striped candles. I gasp in surprise. "Papa, it's so pretty! You made this for me?!"