Chapter 2; Questions

Felicity POV

I opened the door and stepped into the apartment. "I-I'm home!"

"Felicity!" Grandma looked up from cutting the vegetables and smiled warmly. She walked over to me and grabbed my hands. "How was your first day? Did it go alright? Tell me, tell me, tell me!"

I looked away, unable to look at her in the eye. "I-It was good..."

But before I could finish with "but I don't want to go back" and ask if we could talk to Principle Nezu and just tell him that I wasn't able for this whole thing, Grandma gasped happily and threw her arms around. "Oh, Felicity!"

"H-Huh?!"

"I've been so worried about you this whole day." She pulled out of the hug and put her hands on my shoulders. She had tears in her eyes. "But you stayed there the whole day, you got through it and it was good. I knew you could do it, I just didn't know that you knew. I'm so proud!" She turned her head back and yelled. "Soichiro!"

"Coming!" There was a bit of noise and then Grandpa shuffled into the room. "Yes? What is it?"

Grandma stood behind me, her hands on my shoulders. "Our granddaughter is going to be the next greatest hero!"

He looked confused for a second before the words sunk in. His jaw dropped and he gasped. "She's going to stay?!"

"Yes!" Grandma squeezed my shoulders. "Isn't that right, Felicity?"

No.

That wasn't right at all.

I could never be a hero.

But how could I tell them that?

I looked at my grandparents, their faces full of hope and joy. They really, really wanted me to do this. What could I say now? "Haha no, grans, jokes lol, there ain't no way I'm going back to that awful place"?

They wanted me to do this so badly. They'd always wanted me to follow my old dreams. But dreams are meant to stay dreams. They aren't supposed to become a reality. They never do.

Still, as I looked at them, I knew I couldn't just let them down like that.

I looked down at my shoes and nodded slowly. "Y-Yeah. I'm...I'm going to stay on at UA and..." I swallowed. "And...become a hero."

Those words felt oddly nostalgic in my mouth.

My grandparents hugged me tightly, screaming their heads off. For a pretty old couple in their sixties, they're surprisingly energetic.

"This calls for a celebration!"

"You deserve a present, Felicity! Pick something! Whatever it is you want, I promise you that we'll scrape up enough money to buy it!"

"You said it!"

I shook my head, struggling to breath as they were squeezing me so tightly. "I'm...fine...really...."

"No, don't worry about it!" Then Grandma smiled and calmed down a bit. "Think about what you'd, really, really like for a while and let us know when you've decided. Okay?"

I gave up and just nodded. She'd forget about the whole thing soon enough anyway.

Over dinner, Grandma and Grandpa wouldn't stop saying over and over again how proud they were of me so I ended up just saying I felt sick and excused myself. I flopped onto my bed and curled up into a little ball. It wasn't actually a full lie. Just the thought of going back to UA made me feel sick. What would I do when I had to use my quirk? Would they force me? They wouldn't...they couldn't...could they?