Chapter Six: Gigs, Reporters, and Fake Detectives

Chapter Six:

Gigs, Reporters, and Fake Detectives

********

The Rochester Hotel

New York, New York

Two Weeks and Four Days until Deadline

********

“Thanks. Of course, Mr. Murray, it’s no problem. I understand how hesitant you are, yes…” said Mandy. She rolled her eyes at Russell, who was sitting Indian style on one of the beds with blueprints spread out all around him.

                He raised his eyebrows and she covered the receiver for a moment. “The museum director is still skeptical about them.”

                “Did he see the clips George made? I was almost convinced after watching those,” said Russell.

                Mandy smiled but was unable to respond. “Yes, yes. Of course. I can get the tickets delivered to you. The address?” She glanced frantically at Russell and mouthed, ‘Gig! Where?’

                Russell leaned over backward and grabbed the telephone book off the night stand. “New York,” he muttered, “Who do we know in New York?”

                “Just a second, I have it written down somewhere,” said Mandy, stalling for time.

                “The Cavern,” Russell said, slamming the phone book closed.

                Mandy nodded and rattled off the address for the night club. Soon she hung up and flopped back on her bed. “My goodness. Why can’t marks just do what you want them to do?”

                “I wonder,” said Russell drily. “The manager at the Cavern owes me a favor. I’m sure we can get them in.”

                “Really?” asked Mandy. “I didn’t even tell you what night.”

                Russell sighed and went back to studying his blueprints. “It was a big favor.”

                A moment later a knock came at the door. “It’s George and Paul. Let us in.”

                Mandy stayed put while Russell went to open the door. The two newly dubbed Beatles stepped in, looking nothing like world-class musicians and more like street performers. Mandy looked them over tiredly and decided they all needed a haircut and new clothes and more practice before...what night had she told Murray? Before Friday.

                “Hullo,” said Paul, closing the door. “George here has spotted a problem.”

                “Sorry, we’ve met out quota of problems. No more allowed,” said Russell.