A nightmare

Athena

Clouds are so lucky. They can float away wherever they desire, to whomever they desire. Right now, staring out of my window, I was thinking the same thing. What I wouldn't give to float away from here ?

" Miss Hearst ! " I jolt out of my day dream when I hear Mrs. Taiko call out my name. Mrs. Taiko was a sweet Asian woman who also happened to be my economics professor. Except, with the way she was glaring at me right now, I wouldn't call her so sweet.

" Miss Hearst. Would you like to share your thoughts with all of us ? Considering the fact that they kept you from paying attention to the lecture I'd say they seem pretty important. " God this was embarrassing.

I apologise quickly, " No no. I'm sorry Mrs. Taiko. It won't happen again," Well atleast I hope it won't.

She looks at me and sighs, " Alright. But don't let it happen again or I won't be so lenient," Thank God.

Once the lecture gets over, we all start vacating the room. But Mrs. Taiko holds me back, " Athena, wait for a moment. I need to talk to you."

I approach her nervously, " Yes ma'am ?"

" Athena, what's going on ? This is the third time I've caught you day dreaming in the middle of the lecture. This is totally unlike you. Is everything okay ? " I feel so ashamed of myself.

I lower my eyes and my fingers start fidgeting, a gesture which takes place involuntarily whenever I feel anxious.

" I know I've been distracted Mrs. Taiko. But I promise you it won't happen again. I'll pay complete attention to the lectures and once again be the ideal student you've always seen me as. Truly," I know I sound like a suck up but I am desperate. I don't want her to be disappointed in me.

She places her hand on my shoulder and says, " Athena, you've always been one of the most brilliant students I've come across in my entire career. I'd hate for you to lose a good opportunity. If your grades slip, you might lose your scholarship. You know that right ?"

Suddenly my throat feels like a sandpaper. I swallow hard and say, " Ofcourse I know ma'am. But as I said, it won't happen again. I promise." She must've felt satisfied with my answer because she lets me go.
Thankfully, that was the last lecture of the day and the week.

Rhea didn't come to college because she had some urgent 'business' to do, so I'm all alone today. I don't ever ask her what this business is about. After all, she's not the only one hiding things.

When I reach home, I see the stray dog of our area sitting on my porch. He's a labrador and an absolute sweetheart. As soon as he sees me, he comes rushing towards me panting with his tongue out.

" Hey boy. You came to see me after so long. Didn't you miss me ?" I rub his back affectionately, " Come on. I know you're hungry. Let's go and feed you some biscuits. " He woofed in response, as if agreeing.

After filling his bowls of biscuits and water , I go up to my room to get ready for work.

Owen's Diner is not a very posh restaurant. But it's quite popular among university students as it's affordable. I've been working here for almost a year now.

Fresh aroma of coffee hits me instantly as I enter the diner. Another thing that the diner is famous for, apart from its chicken pie , is it's amazing Columbian coffee.

" Hello sweetheart. You're a bit early today," Earls greets me.

Earl is a kind and sweet old man with chocolate brown skin and a smile so radiant that it's always enough to make me forget all my worries. He's always been a like a father to me.