CHAPTER 5 - When In Rome

They land in Frankfurt and Jeff parts ways with the pilot, Trip and the flight attendant, Amelia and head to another gate to catch a flight from Frankfurt to Rome via Lufthansa airlines. He arrives in Rome at about 12 noon and heads directly to the hotel where he was staying, Hassler Roma at the Piazza Trinità dei Monti, 6, 00187 Roma, Italy. Since Jeff liked to spend while he vacations he gladly booked the Penthouse Villa Medici Suite located on the 7th floor of the hotel for the rest of his stay.

According to their website, the Penthouse Villa Medici luxurious suite has recently undergone a complete renovation, featuring a completely new style which is very modern but with some classical accents. The breathtaking view from its private 160 sqm terrace remains the same, and this magical space continues to offer a unique location where to relax and enjoy the view of the city with a late afternoon cocktail, a private dinner or for private events.

Upon entering the suite, with its elegant beige Botticino marble floors, the spacious sitting room features an elegant beige sofa, a plasma TV as well as large windows looking out over the city. The adjacent dining area, separated by two classical columns, features a large black oval table with an ornate white base and four black chairs with horse-hair upholstery. The mirrors reflect the beautiful view on every wall.

A sliding door separates the dining area from the master bedroom, decorated in elegant and neutral grey, beige and white tones with accents of red provided by the bed's base and the suspended overhead canopy, as well as the bed-side tables and sofa. A large plasma TV with DVD player and a black writing desk, as well as a very large walk-in closet, complete the space at one of the top hotels near Trevi Fountain. The master bathroom is covered in Botticino marble with a wall-to-wall shower and Jacuzzi bathroom, separate WC and an ultra-thin TV built directly into the mirror, which does not show until it's turned on via remote control. The guest bathroom is also in Botticino marble.

"Wow! Not too shabby." Jeff gushed as he went inside the room for the first time. He settles in and puts his travel bag inside the bedroom and relaxed before taking in the sights. So after he freshened up he went down the hotel and went to go explore Rome. He walked on the cobbled streets of Rome, and went to go see the Basilica di San Pietro (St. Peter's Basilica) where he hired a private tour guide to show him around the Church. After the tour they went to the Cappella Sistina (Sistine Chapel) where he saw the famous frescoes and masterpieces that cover the ceiling and that one wall of the chapel. Then they ended the tour there, for his first day.

By nightfall, Jeff ended up walking by himself going to the Trevi Fountain to marvel at the very beautiful sculptures. He takes pictures with his Sony Alpha A99 of the fountain and of the sites that he's seen on his first day and sits on one of the benches and just stares at the fountain. While he was admiring the view he sees this woman who is taking a picture of the fountain with a Hasselblad 503 camera.

The last time he saw that kind of camera was when Bradley took him to his wall of cameras, he was drawn to it and wanted to ask where she got it but we both know that it wasn't the camera that drew him to her. So he took a picture of her from afar as she smiles and laughs with, probably her boyfriend because it was a guy or maybe not cause there were also girls, and he liked how she smiled. He stood up from his seat and began to capture every moment of her smiling, yeah it was creepy but it was also cute at the same time - until finally, the woman looked at him and raised her eye brows. Jeff pretended he didn't see her and tried to act coy by taking a picture of the fountain instead.

But it didn't work, the woman was disturbed that some stranger tried to take pictures of her so she excused herself from her friends and walked towards Jeff. "Mi scusi, stavi cercando di scattare foto di me? (Excuse me but can I see your photo?)" She asked in a perfect Italian accent. "I'm afraid I don't speak Italian, I'm actually an American. I was just taking a photo of the Trevi Fountain." He half lied. "Oh! I'm American too. I'm sorry but may I see your photo?" She asked and then Jeff showed her the picture of the Trevi Fountain. "Okay, that's embarrassing. I thought you were taking pictures of me. I'm sorry for bothering you." She said in embarrassment and turned around. "Hey! Wait! I'm Jeff by the way. Dr. Jeffrey Liam Sage." Jeff said and extended his hand. "I'm Dr. Mia Alexis Dupree, nice to meet you." She said politely.

Hearing her name triggered something in him,"Wait! You're the famous astrophysicist who reformulated the idea of time travel and allegedly found a new planet?" He asked with a smile. "Yup that's me. How do you know this information?" She asked. "You were on the news." He said and made her blush. "Mia!" Her friend was calling her. "Oh uhm, I have a conference in the Waldorf Astoria in a while, swing by if you want." She said with a smile and left Jeff speechless.

So Jeff called Dr. Feder, "Feder! It's me, Jeff." He said. "I know, it says that on my caller ID." Ronald replied. "Remember that conference I didn't go to?" He asked. "Who was the speaker?" He asked. "Oh, you know, the girl-genius astrophysicist that works for NASA. Uhm, I think her name was Dr. Mia Dupree? I'm not sure, why?" Ronald asked. "I just met her." He said. "No way! Where?" Ronald asked. "She's in Rome." Jeff answered and then Ronald laughed. "I think you should go to one of her conferences or talks, they're very insightful." He said. "Yeah?" Jeff asked. "Or whatever, just try to enjoy yourself while you're in Rome." He said and then hung up the phone.

Jeff shook off the thought of having a little crush on Mia and he had the urge to wanna see her again. So he ate at a little café and ended up on the Waldorf Astoria lobby. He then asked the concierge which function room the conference was held and the concierge took him to where the conference was.

As he entered, Mia was already in front and talking about the possible planet that she has discovered, whether or not it is possible for life to be attainable in living in that planet and her research about reformulating the idea of a possibility to time travel. Jeff slowly walked to the back and watched Mia from afar. As Mia turned around, out of everyone, she saw Jeff standing at the back - that got her to smile.

Then a while later, Mia finishes her discussion about the theory of life can be sustained in this new planet she has found and reformulating the idea of time travel and then finishes the open forum and by the time she got to look around, Jeff was gone.

So she went to the restaurant bar where she ate alone. Then Jeff happens to be sitting by the bar and drinking scotch. Jeff sees her eating alone and stares at her for a while, getting to know the distinct features of her face.

But he didn't make a move, instead he was sulking in the bar drinking scotch alone. Then "La Mer" by Charles Trenet played as the people slowly make their way to the dance floor.

As Jeff pulled out his wallet to pay for his drinks, Mia sits adjacent to him, with her facing the bar and him facing the side of the bar. "Aren't you gonna ask me to dance?" She asked and Jeff's eyes widen. "I... I don't know how to dance." He replied. "Oh? I can teach you." She said with a smile. "I don't think that's possible, I have two left feet." He said nervously. "Are you really saying no to my offer?" She teased. "It's not a no, I just don't want to be embarrassed in front of pretty lady like yourself." He said with a smile. "You think I'm pretty?" She joked and he laughed. "C'mon, dance with me." She said and extended her arm to him and he had no choice but to hold her hand and walk to the dance floor.

He held her right hand with his left hand and put his right hand on her back while her left hand was on his shoulder and moved in closer. Then they swayed to the rhythm of the music and Jeff kept on looking down on his feet to avoid stepping on hers. "Hey, look at me," She said as she lifts his chin up, "you're not gonna step on my feet." She said. "I'm afraid that if I do, you'll run away." He flirted and smiled. "I think I know a great catch when I see one." She flirted and smiled back then they both laugh. "I wouldn't consider myself a great catch, but you on the other hand..." He trailed off. "What?" She asked. "You're something else." He said with a smile and she gave him the 'WTF' look.

"You're kind of intimidating." He said and looked away. "Really now?" She asked with a smile. "Then what made you take pictures of me?" She added and as the song ends, she walks away leaving Jeff speechless.

Jeff went after her, "Hey! How did you know I took pictures of you?" He asked. "I didn't, but thanks for admitting to it now." She said with a laugh. "Good night, Dr. Sage, see you around." She said and ascended into her room. Before Jeff could say good night to her, he smiled and was speechless. So he decided to return to his very beautiful hotel room and had a good night's sleep.