Chapter 15*

Laura thought and thought about it again. In front of her was a rogue, deemed dangerous by no other Damian himself, and he had challenged her- after extensively getting on her nerves, that is- to throw him out of the Undead Mansion.

Screw this. Laura charged. Claws extended, fangs protruded; she lunged at Daniel with all the ferocity she could muster within her. But before she could get close enough to land an attack, he swatted her out of the air like she weighed nothing more than a fly; she landing on her rear with a groan as she felt pain shoot from her hip downwards.

It had actually been too late before Laura realized her mistake. Daniel was old- well, hundred years wasn't that old in undead years but definitely a lot older than her- and probably very experienced in undead combats. Charging at him head-on was the most illogical thing she could have done.

But she had a point to prove; and she was certainly ready to prove it even at the risk of her own life.

Getting back on her feet, Laura charged at Daniel again with all her might, this time getting a boost from the wall to put more momentum into her move. But he easily countered it just the first time.

Daniel ducked just as Laura's lunge came in, catching her by the waist before she could get out of his reach; and despite all her resistance, he slid her back across the floor like a bowling ball.

She hit her head against the wall with a loud bang; the collision bringing stars to her eyes and she groaned. Okay, Daniel's definitely more than experienced when it comes to undead combats, she admitted.

Thing is, while an undead could easily heal from pain, aches took quite longer to relieve; and headaches were good a paralytic in fights as any.

But she still had to force him to leave. Okay, Laura, time for a different approach, she decided as she got back to feet. "Hey, Daniel," she called. "Afraid to actually throw a punch, are you?"

But he only smiled. "Why don't you come find out, honey?" he returned.

Laura charged again, coming fist-first this time. Daniel ducked the punch but didn't counter it, moving away instead and Laura followed him. She tried again and again to land a hit but he only ducked; never once hitting back.

It wasn't until Laura began to feel dizzy that she realised what was happening. Thing is, while she had thought she was forcing Daniel to a retreat, he was actually the one forcing her to attack. He was forcing her to expel all of her energy and make her less fit to counter when he was finally ready to finish her off.

"You-!" Whatever she was going to say got lost in a scream as Daniel caught and twisted her hand; snapping the bone with minimal effort. He punched her face to further disorient her before tossing her carelessly into the next room like a ragdoll.

Laura rolled a few times across the ground before coming to rest on her back; screaming like someone run over by a train.

Where the hell are they?! Her thoughts went to Frederick and Damian and she screamed again. In times past, the undead brothers had always showed up whenever she needed them; and she needed them right then more than ever.

But no one showed up; neither Frederick with his smile nor Damian with his quips. She was all alone; feeling like her soul was being torn asunder and her life about be ended by a very dangerous rogue she should never have had any business meeting.

Guess you have to get yourself out of this one, Laura. She looked across at her right hand lying uselessly at her side; undeads took longer time to heal from fractures than other wounds. Which was probably why Daniel broke my hand before anything else, she realised. That asshole.

Anyway, Laura forced herself back onto her feet and to the foyer to find it, to her utmost surprise, empty. Where the hell-? She suddenly heard Daniel come at her from behind.

Laura spun as fast as she could with a punch ready to go, but she still wasn't fast enough to stop him. He buried something in her heart and she gasped; her expression a mixture of horror and surprise. He buried it a little more and then let it go; leaving her to fall on a knee.

Laura finally looked down to see a dagger sticking out from her chest; her blood trickling to the floor uninhibited from it. Thank God it's not a stake, she sighed and fell backwards to the floor.

Laura breathed once, then twice; and finally, she released herself to let the darkness take over.