6 | INNER TURMOIL.

Jamie's feelings were clear for everybody to read. She wasn't the best at keeping her emotions at check and Louis wasn't stupid. Not that he meant to say the others were stupid—just a little more dense when it came to things like this. Still, he played dumb because...well, he doesn't really know why.

For as long as he can remember, ever since he stepped through the gates of Ericson, it was always him and Marlon. Thick as thieves, best friends for life. And then, soon after, Jamie arrived too.

Jamie with her tangled long hair, always an unruly mess. Jamie and her bandaged hands and fingers—hiding behind a story that only piqued his curiosity further. Jamie with her explosive anger at every little thing. Jamie, who only calmed down when she met Marlon. Jamie, who followed Marlon around like a lost puppy.

Just...Jamie.

(That statement doesn't sit right in his tongue though. She was never just Jamie. That's not right. He can wax poetry about how much he cares about her. How glad he is that she's around, that even if they may have drifted apart, she was still a constant in his life.)

(Violet always did tease him for being such a romantic at heart. He couldn't help it. Not when it came to his friends and especially not when it came to Jamie.)

(At least, that's what he wished for. He gets tongue tied around her, afraid to take the extra step and possibly ruin their friendship.)

Before he knew it, Jamie slowly joined in their little friendship, cautious and careful with her words and her placement. The amazing duo became a trio. The Three Musketeers were born that fateful day.

The three of them found an easy balance between each other, with Jamie being an easy middle ground. Of course, that didn't mean that neither Marlon or Jamie had their fair share of troubles; it just meant that on a normal day, it was Louis creating trouble for them to run away from. Memories of their childhood take up the most space. Anything before Ericson was a hazy blur—his life at home, his father's face, his mother's laugh. All a thing in the past, blurred with passing time.

This just meant that, for as long as he can remember, Jamie and Marlon have always been by his side. It was just weird to think of a life before or even without the two. Impossible even. Perhaps it was selfish of him to think so, but if he could live the rest of his life with those two, he'd be satisfied. Louis liked the comfort they brought him. Liked the jokes he and Marlon shared. Liked the fuzzy feelings in his stomach when Jamie smiles his way.

Louis shakes his head, shaking himself free from the thoughts that brought him in such a mood in the first place. Instead, he focuses his energy in his fingers, letting them play the tunes of his only song. The notes were all muscle memory by now, the paper he'd scribbled on basically useless. Honestly, he should be done with it by now, with the number of years he poured in it.

The others are busy, leaving him to do what he wants until they finally need him for some chore. In the meantime, he's alone with his thoughts. The soft melody playing from the old piano filling the stagnant air of the building.

Louis wanted to confess, he really did. A soft chuckle slips past his lips, cheeks dusting a dark red as his heart quickens against his chest. Jamie beat him to that, unfortunately. He pauses momentarily to cover his face with his cool hands, feeling far too embarrassed about this whole ordeal. Where did she get that courage? And where can he get some?

Teasing Jamie comes easy. It makes her smile, even if she gets just a little annoyed, it's enough for him. He pulls his hands from his face, unceremoniously dropping them on the ivory piano keys with a sigh.

Even if he wants to confess his feelings, he doesn't feel like it's the right time. It was just like what she said that night—it was a weird time. With Marlon and Brody and Clementine and—

He sucks in a sharp breath.

Louis doesn't want to make her wait forever but now wasn't the best time.

He just hopes he gets the chance to say his feelings soon.