5 | ACE OF HEARTS.

note: 6.7k words!

JAMIE WAS A LITTLE NERVOUS. As she looked out past the gates and towards the mass of walkers slowly bunching up in the forest, she couldn't help but worry for the supply team still on the other side of the gate. Her hands opened and closed around her bat, a nervous habit that started when she first started to use it as a weapon. Palms sweaty and her heart pounding against her chest. It was adrenaline—the good kind. The one that kept her alive. Not the kind that she gets when Louis decides to flash her with his endearing smile.

She spares a glance at Clementine, who'd already taken out her knife and readied herself with taking down the walkers. She doesn't seem too nervous, almost looking too casual at having to take them down. Violet stops beside Jamie, her meat cleaver in hand.

The blonde girl looked through the gate with an obviously annoyed look on her face. She looked more inconvenienced about the whole situation than anything.

"It's almost like something drew their attention." She brings up with a roll of her eyes. "Something like, I don't know, an explosion or a car crash."

"Vi." Marlon placates her. He merely sends an apologetic look towards Clementine's way.

"I'm just saying, there has to be an explanation."

But Clementine doesn't seem deterred by Violet's accusation. Jamie readies herself for a mild argument; Violet's standoffish attitude can come off rude for anybody who wasn't used of her. Jamie wouldn't be surprised if Clementine did take it the wrong way.

Clementine does what Jamie least expected. She apologized.

The apology seems to calm Violet enough. Arms crossed with a restless look on her face. Jamie watches with amusement as a flustered Violet kept shifting her gaze.

"Hello Clementine, I'm Violet, nice to meet you." Louis says in a mockery of what Violet's voice actually sounded like. The pitch much higher than Violet's own. His free hand motions between the two girls, lips curled to a cheeky grin. He did whatever it took to mess with Violet. He did anything he could to mess with just about anybody in their school but Violet and Aasim seemed to be his top priority.

"What he said." Violet grumbles.

Jamie sighs. A sudden hand on her shoulder brings her attention to the boy beside her. She tenses slightly at the short distance between the two of them; stuck between wanting to put some more space between them and staying rooted at her spot.

"You ready to kick some ass, J?" He asks before catching sight of her red cheeks. His nose scrunches and he bends down to get a better look. Which was just what she needed for the flush to darken. "Did you catch a fever or something?"

"I'm fine." She forces a reassuring smile and trying to keep her attention from the small distance between them. "Just a little worried."

"Worried?" He repeats before glancing out the gate. There's an odd twinge in his voice, one that catches Jamie off guard. "Right, Mitch is out there isn't he?"

"Yeah..." She furrows her eyebrows, still somewhat drawn back with Louis' tone. "He is. Same with Aasim and Brody."

Before Louis can say anymore, Willy's voice cuts through their conversation. He's looking down at the group from his spot on the watchtower. "All right, boys and girls! They're starting to gather!"

The jitters disappeared the moment Jamie was able to swing her bat at a walker's head. As morbid as it sounded, being able to take them down with a single swing was a good way to rid her of the anxiety coursing through her body. It makes a disgusting squelch as she pulled her bat back—her nose scrunching at the way parts of its head and hair stuck to her bat.