Chapter Forty-Nine

The gold embossing on the black cards really achieved the desired effect I was going for. The front of each of them read:  

You are cordially invited 

I opened one of the letters and read it one last time before I delivered them. 

Dear Mr. Foster, 

It is one of my great regrets in life that I did not get to know you better. I spent several years working under you and have appreciated everything you have done for me. Despite our limited contact, I have determined your character and work ethic are of the highest quality. I would like to think you and I share many common values. In addition, I admire many other qualities you possess. You are a very good person from what I have seen and heard. You are a master negotiator, master networker, and have the drive that will take you very far in life. Because of this, I'm asking you to join me in a highly lucrative business venture.  

I'm in the process of assembling a team of highly motivated and highly competent individuals and it would be a privilege and an honour to have you on board with me. In one of our brief conversations, you disclosed your dissatisfaction with your current working arrangement with the bank. I believe you referred to it as a 'dead end'. I'm providing you an opportunity for advancement without losing your security. The pay will be considerable and you will not lose any of the benefits you currently enjoy.  

If you are interested in hearing more about this opportunity, then please feel free to contact me without any obligation or pressure whatsoever. It would be my pleasure to sit down with you and formally discuss my proposal. Even if you are not interested at this time, I would still like to rendezvous with you sometime in the near future.  

I'm looking forward to hearing from you George.  

Sincerely, 

Trevor Morrison.  

604-555-0565.  

I sealed up the letter and put it with the others. As I was leaving the house, my phone rang. 

"Hey, McKay, thanks for calling me back." 

"No worries, I was surprised when I got your message. What have you been up to since the Banff days?" 

"Oh you know, making moves." 

"Is that a fact? What kind of moves are you making?" 

"Well, I could tell you about it, but you wouldn't believe me. I would like to show you instead. How soon can you get to Vancouver?" 

*** 

Walking up to the front of the National Group Bank where I used to work brought back a lot of memories. I spent over four years of my life there and I never thought I would be back. I met a lot of great people over the years and now it was time to cherry pick those people for my company. 

"Hi, I'm here to see Charles Cameron, can you see if he is working today please," I said through the security intercom. 

"What's your name?" the voice responded back. 

"Trevor Morrison." 

"One moment please." 

I glanced around and took in the familiar sights. I saw a few people outside smoking cigarettes, but I did not recognize any of them.  

"Mr. Morrison, Mr. Cameron is on his way." 

"Okay, thank you." 

A few moments later, a familiar face emerged from the revolving glass doors. "Trevor, how's it going? Long time no see," Charles said with a huge smile and a handshake.