Confrontation

Bright lunar rays set the scene below me aglow in a sea of glittering pale blues and shimmering silvers. The jagged lofty mountains reached majestically up to the star embellished skyline. Each peak was adorned with frosty crystalline forestlands that glimmered in the moonlight. Shadows from the rugged cliffs and rolling hills obscured the deep crevices hidden between the towering rocks like blackened icy tombs, and reached out with their darkened hands to caress the soft dips in the valley below.

The inky black waters of a large meandering river gleamed as it cut through the forested landscape, flowing from the prodigious ghostly falls that cascaded down the side of a cliff carved mountain. Tiny streams broke off from the river and spread throughout the land like thin little veins bringing life essence to the forest. Small black glassy lakes were ringed with layers of sparkling ice that had only recently begun to form around their curved edges. In the distance I could see warm glowing specs of light from the town twinkling like little fireflies in an open untended midsummer field. 

The scenery was breathtakingly beautiful and never in my life had I gotten such a magnificent view of the valley before. Unfortunately, I had no breath left in me for it to take away, because I was screaming my fucking head off, while clutching onto my demon boyfriend for dear life. 

The frigid air bit painfully at my exposed skin, causing me to savor the heat from Ashton's hot body. He began powerfully flapping his large black wings to bring his soaring to a stop. I quieted down, but fearfully kept my arms wrapped tightly around him, as we hovered high up in the freezing cold air for a moment. Black mist suddenly surrounded us, and then dissipated again. Ashton's glowing fiery golden eyes stood out dramatically against the cold dark blue scenery of the night, as he furrowed his brows and searched my face in confusion.

"Oh... Here's the problem."  He muttered in realization, then used one of his claws to slash through the sapphire necklace that I was wearing. I silently watched as his large clawed hand pulled it from my neck, then carelessly tossed it into the air. 

The deep blue gem glittered beautifully in the moonlight as it disappeared into the glimmering forest below us. Black mist surrounded us yet again, but this time I suddenly felt the relief of warm still air on my skin and heard the soft crackling of a fireplace. 

I looked around in a confused stupor to find that we were standing in the middle of the living room, back at the house. The only sources of light were the peaceful flickering flames and the silvery lunar rays shining in through the parted heavy black drapes that flowed over the windows.

What the hell just happened!? Did we really just fucking teleport!? 

Ashton looked like his regular human self again, but blood was still splattered across his bare chest and face, and dripped from his mouth down his chin. He collapsed to his knees while holding me tightly in a relieved loving embrace. I continued to grip his neck while trembling in terror. My body felt frozen from both being cold and absolute shock, while my frazzled mind seemed to be going insane trying to comprehend all that had happened. 

The dim light from the crackling fireplace danced across our embracing half naked forms, as we stayed unmoving for what seemed like a long time. Ashton eventually turned his head to look into my eyes, with an apprehensive gaze. Another long silent moment passed as we awkwardly stared at one another. It was as if we were both stuck in a paralyzing trance, too afraid to speak. 

"I was going to tell you." He finally broke the ice with a deep but quiet voice, as he searched my face. I didn't know how to respond, so I just stared up at him with wide shocked eyes. Both concern and fury suddenly etched his features as he gently ran a hand along my bruised cheek. "He hit you." It wasn't a question, but a statement.