Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I arrived at my getaway cabin in LA at 10 past 9. Once I got there the first thing I did was draw myself a warm bath. After all the stress I’ve been through, I welcomed the warm water on my skin. This was another favourite place of mine where my father and I would go and just hike around away from the city.

God, I miss him. He’d know what to tell me. He’d know what’s best for me. I hugged my knees tighter to me as I thought this. I couldn’t hold back the pain and the tears any longer. It felt like a dam broke within me and all in one the emotions poured out of me. I heard a shrill scream in my ears, only to find that the sound came from me.

Anger, betrayal, pain, loss, disappointment, stupidity; these were the things I felt and they all enveloped me at once. How could I have been so stupid? After years of telling myself not to trust anyone anymore, I let someone get close to me all because he lent me his shoulder?! I thought back to all the taunts that I received back when I was in high school, after the humiliating afternoon that Alex subjected me to.

“Hey Mika, why don’t I show you a good time? I bet Alex doesn’t know where to touch you right.”

“Suck any cocks lately, Mika?”

“Slut.”

“Stop being so desperate and leave Alex alone.”

Those were just a glimpse of the things I had to endure for two years in high school. My father was my only friend. Everyone who I thought were my friends all turned their back on me when my popularity went downhill.

Baby girl, take this as an opportunity that will make you stronger. You’ve made a mistake, don’t chastise yourself too much. In fact, I should even give you a hard time for doing...things with that boy.

But daddy, I love Alex. I thought he loved me. I bet you know what it’s like to be in love.

Not too long ago, baby girl. You know your mom warned me about this day. She told me she’d haunt me from her grave if I didn’t stand by you at times like these.

I wish I could’ve met mom.

I wish that too, baby. Don’t worry, she’s always been looking down on you since you were born.

I smiled reminiscing the “talk” me and my father shared. After my mother died from giving birth to me, my father poured all his love and devotion that he felt for my mom on me. He always praised her and never had a bad thing to say about her. He always believed she was his soul mate. To him, she was the most beautiful woman in the world, and I was the most beautiful daughter he could ever ask for.

I don’t know how long I stayed in my bath, but when I finally snapped out of my thoughts, my fingers and toes were more wrinkly than possible. I laughed at this thought and got up and changed. I checked the time and it was only 11am. I sighed and got ready to go hiking, I wanted to busy myself with nature instead of being cooped up and thinking about all the shit in my head.

I jogged up the trail that dad and I used to go when we’d spend our day here. It was still beautiful as I remembered it 3 years ago. Wild flowers trailing the path, the trees bending in different directions as if each depicting a battle of sorts. The higher the trail went, the louder the sound of the waterfall. I loved the smell of it, it smelled like rain. I smiled to myself.

This is the first time I’ve come here alone. Every time I came, I’d always have my dad with me to enjoy this view. My thoughts were cut short by my phone ringing on my arm strap.

“What do you want, Tay?” I asked, my eyebrows scrunching together. I hated being interrupted with my thoughts.

“A little snippy aren’t we? Just because my birthday ended yesterday doesn’t mean you have to snap at me already.” I could hear the amusement in his tone which made me roll my eyes.