Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It was one in the afternoon on a Sunday and I was dressed and ready to have coffee with Nikolai. After our phone conversation and Kisha leaving, I phoned my uncle to inform him about the whole merger. He was all smiles and thought it was a good idea. He told me to send him a copy of the document before signing it.

So now here I am, fussing over what to wear. I decided on a black corset top, topped off with a black blazer and white slacks. Business casual, that’s the way to go. I smiled at myself in the mirror and heard the doorbell ring. I stuffed my phone, make up kit, wallet and keys in my bag and headed to the door. I opened the door and the smile was wiped off my face.

Alex was standing outside my door with a bouquet of flowers and a hand in his pocket. He looked real good with his hair slicked back, his checkered polo and ripped jeans. Not to mention the boyish, nervous smile he was sporting.

“Wow, you look beautiful. I didn’t know you were aware I was coming over.” He checked me out and his cocky smirk was back on his face.

“I wasn’t aware you were coming. Why are you here Alex? I thought I made myself clear yesterday.” I crossed my arms over my chest. I was doing that a lot when I was with him.

“And I thought I made myself clear that you didn’t scare me off. For you.” He handed me the bouquet which I took and returned to glaring at him. “I thought maybe we could go out today. You know, prove to you that I’ve changed.” He said. I huffed in disbelief. Does this boy not know when to quit? Time for some tough love buddy.

“Listen Alex, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I doubt you’d be able to prove that. I’m not the same gullible, sophomore that you fucked with back then. Now be gone.” Okay so maybe the last line was just a little too dramatic, but hey if it works.

“Not until you agree to go out with me.” Alex retorted, not swayed at all by my little speech. I rolled my eyes.

“I won’t be agreeing to that because it so happens that I have a date.” I tilted my chin up in victory. Well technically, it was a business meeting but Alex didn’t need to know that. Graced with impeccable timing, Nikolai’s car pulled up in front of Alex’s red Camaro.

I shoved the bouquet into Alex’s arms and proceeded to Nikolai. His eyebrow was up, noticing Alex by the door. He then looked at me with a confused look.

“Hey baby! What took you so long?” I said loudly for Alex to hear. I wrapped my arms around Nikolai’s waist, “Play along please.” I whispered in his ear. He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer.

“Err, sorry I got stuck in traffic.” He said, still looking confused. I rolled my eyes at his crappy acting skills.

Alex approached us looking skeptical. “Isn’t he your business partner?” He looked at Nikolai then back at me.

I grabbed Niko’s hand and held it in mine. “As a matter of fact he is, and we’re dating.” I said, smugly.

“Why don’t I believe you? Is this some scheme to get me out of your hair, Mika?” he asked, looking between me and Nikolai.

Surprise overtook me when Niko snaked his arm around my waist, and pulled me close to his side. His woodsy scent had my senses on overdrive.

“Now why would you think that, Alex right?” Niko said, smoothly. Okay so maybe I didn’t give him enough props for his acting skills. I looked at him and he smirked at me.

“Well then I regret to inform you that that little tease you have around your arm slept with me last night.” He smirked victoriously. I felt my heart constrict and my jaw drop. Not only that but I felt Niko’s arm loosen its grip on my waist. Niko cleared his throat and firmed his grip on my waist again. I looked up at him and noticed his eyes darkening as he glared at Alex.