Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Awkward silenceAwesome. I thought.

Nikolai was staring back at me like I was crazy. I bit my lip and cleared my throat, composing myself in the process.

“I don’t think you understand the situation. Let me explain.” Trying to sound composed, but my head was filled with warning signs, telling me this was a bad idea.

“Yes. I think that’s a good idea.” He murmured, sitting up straight.

“I assume you’ve read the article in the paper about us?” I asked. Nikolai nodded but still looked confused. I continued, “Because of the picture that they snapped of us leaving together which caused quite the scandal. While talking with my uncle, I thought of a plan to sort of explain the situation that happened last night.”

“And that would be?”

“That you are my adviser and we came from a meeting. We went out that night to celebrate our new—partnership and you dropped me home like the gentleman you are.” I finished with an emphasis on the gentleman. Yeah right, those kind of men are practically extinct nowadays.

“Very convincing, Ms. Jameson but there seems to be problems in your plans.” He said, smirking.

“And what would those be?”

“I’m a businessman. I’m already running my own business.” He shrugged.

“You’re just “advising” me. You’re not really going to do anything.” I rolled my eyes.

“My parents, they’re a part of your board members.”

“Lie. Make something up.” I was beginning to get anxious. Why was he looking for loopholes? Why not just agree and get on with our lives? Ugh! This guy is frustrating me.

“How about Andrew? He clearly knows we just met that night.” He challenged me. Damn, I was stumped. There was silence between us.

“I’ll take care of Andrew. I know what to use to silence him.” I said, not meeting his gaze.

“Okay.” He murmured, so low I barely heard it.

“Okay?” I asked. Well that was easy.

“Yes. I suppose I could gain something out of this.” He smirked mischievously. Uh-oh, he’s up to something.

“What are you on about?” I tried to ask calmly but the falter in my tone gave away my nervousness. What could he possibly want?

“A business merger.” He stated simply. A sigh of relief escaped my lips. I held my hand out and smiled at him.

“You’ve got yourself a deal.” He shook my hand and smiled back. I don’t know what it is with this boy but he makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. What the hell? What is wrong with me? I seriously need to get laid. Just then there was a knock on the door that broke through the comfortable silence. I checked the time, 2am. Huh, I didn’t realize it was that late. I got up and opened the door.

“What the hell are you doing here, Alex?” I spat, crossing my arms over my chest. I glared at him hoping he got the message.

“I just wanted to talk, Mika. Please don’t be like that.” He pleaded. I can’t believe he sounded so sincere after that douche move he pulled earlier that night.

“There’s nothing to talk about. I think we already cleared everything up earlier. Now if you’d just leave, I really just want to forget about your existence.” I made a move of closing the door, but Alex’s hand held it in its place.