22

My life with my brother is miserable, but without him, I don't think I'd live the same way I do now.

I've been told that he's older than me by thirty minutes, that dumb-idiot Osamu. Our father often says with a hearty laugh that we're the "best mistakes in the world" which is surprisingly ambiguous when you think about it hard enough.

I only ever grew up with a brother and a brother only. Of course, there were also our hard-working parents, but it was my brother who I was consistently around 24/7. We were together all the time, thick and thin.

All of our other family relatives say that we're very close despite our non-stop bickering and I admit, he is the closest friend I have to this day.

We went to the same school, went to the same clubs, and have shared the same room since we were born. Throughout my life, I've laughed and cried with him before both out of happiness and sorrow. Regardless of our fights (many times it being quite physical), Osamu to me will forever be the most supportive person there is, additionally I can equally be the same when the time comes.

When we were younger, Osamu had this ominous talent for bullying me. He has always been excellent at playing tricks, reckless one that specifically ends in me getting all the blame, then a scold from our mother (still at me, not him). I frequently thought that he wanted mom to return me to a shop so he can be the only child of the family, which made me really worried.

He was a brat and used me as a scapegoat a significant amount of times.

On the other hand, I was always an ambitious child who sought for sweet revenge and to be better than my brother at everything. Sometimes I get what I wanted, sometimes I did not. It didn't help that I was quite an untruthful child due to my lying habits.

Some of my lies often came into our mother's lectures and so she ultimately stopped believing my words whenever Osamu accused me on something (whether as a joke or to escape the wrath she possesses), I tried to commiserate my situation by telling myself that I was similar to the boy who cried wolf. Subsequently, it didn't make me feel any better though.

It was only if I started sobbing my eyes out I'd get some sort of sympathy. He'd apologize to me out of sheer guilt and surrender himself to the pranks, our mother then gives him punishments he deserved. I never got way too mad afterwards though. I could tell he knew what he did wrong from the solemn facial expression he carried after which also resulted in him crying with me.

During the darker times, he stops joking around completely, instead, he does his best to help me back up. These are the times where I appreciate his existence the most although I never really thought much of it until recently actually.

My parents are absolutely right when they said the best thing I have on earth is my twin brother. They never expected twins, but they tell us that they were extremely happy nevertheless.

Those old lectures they give us every day about this topic are engraved in my head, you might be able to even visibly see it (lol).

It looks like I act as if I don't care about him, but internally I do, no matter the abundance of shitty insults he fires at me. I know he feels the same way and sees me the same way too.

My life would be pretty bleak if he wasn't there to make me struggle (jokingly). I'm so used to receiving the same things he gets, in a good way.

Birthdays, in particular, would just not be fun without him; there are twice as many presents, twice as many food, twice as many recognition from family and friends.

I thought he was the only person that exists to be like that. I really thought I wouldn't find anyone that supports me as much as he does. I stated to myself that I'm happy with just my twin brother and I didn't need anybody else in this world.