24

What I presumed to be unlucky karma given upon me by God as a consequence of stealing things from my brother was oddly quick to get used to it after a month or two.

Our separation was a rocky start but then smoothened significantly over time.

Yes, it was certainly stressful at first because Tokyo trains are utterly confusing and so are Osaka's – generally, all city trains are confusing. In addition to the trains, there were also the travelling expenses.

It was a dilemma... Who will spend how much and how much should we spend? Is this all worth it?

Debates popped up more throughout this period than any other time I've experienced with her.

"I shouldn't be the only one working and paying to see you..." She said on the phone whilst I felt a prang of guilt intoxicate my throat, "We can meet back at Hyogo, or you should come to Osaka too."

Having an 18-year-old girl nag you on the phone for an hour straight really engraves words deep in your head, and will continue to mark in deeper in the brain until there are some visible changes in action (which did gradually occur).

In the beginning, I didn't have the job nor did I have the money; I couldn't face to tell her that either and it made me ashamed as an individual. The money I did have was saved from my parents as they give me and my brother a monthly allowance for things like grocery shopping and essentials while we were still settling in our new environment.

A couple of months later, she found out that I was leeching my brother for money at times and got extremely angry. When she came over for that week during our college break, instead of going on dates and having personal time together or with friends, we were trying to find part-time jobs that were suitable for me to do. I ended up working up in a nearby community sports center for kids, it had very good pay and was fun in general (especially since kids get entertained very easily).

She helped me of course, it was the only fair thing to do in this scenario.

Although we did initially promise to see each other at least once a week, the schedule kept changing because of the things that disturbed us in life.
For instance, I still had to go to college and attend lessons, so did she. Then there were part-time jobs, then after there was my volleyball practice since I've chosen to continue to do it after high-school.

It's okay though, I thought.

The separation is frustrating at times, but sometimes it helps us think more about our future. And when we see each other, it's entirely satisfying.

However, there was also a time during our separation where something bad did happen.

There was a time when me and (Y/N) broke up and stopped talking for quite a while.

Our relationship wasn't always sweet and pure like how I portray it to be. We have also been through more serious things that neither parties enjoyed. I don't think any relationship is like a gentle breeze, in fact, it can be like a gushing storm sometimes. The amount of conflict and barriers will be inevitable, many being totally unavoidable.

Long-distance relationships especially are difficult to maintain leisurely in my opinion. It's because lives become frustratingly busy.
Notably, throughout our last year of college as we couldn't visit as much as we wanted too. Sometimes we were only seeing each other once every month or none at all.

Whilst (Y/N) started working immediately during the last year of college, I was still doing mine without a full-time job and patiently waited for her to come by.
At this time, her job and career was the most important thing on her mind. She persevered to get to where she is now and obviously I couldn't be more proud. Additionally, that meant she was going to be at home studying for finals and doing her own responsibilities without really thinking about the other people outside that bubble she was in.