Chapter Forty-Two: The Fine Art of Negotiation

Start from the beginning

His tone was so flat and absolute that horrific despair gripped me again. I could feel it trying to suffocate me as my immortal soul trembled in fear of what was happening. I fought against its hold, but it was like trying to swim through a pool full of caramel. I knew I wasn’t a model person, but I didn’t intentionally hurt anyone. My soul couldn’t be his yet…I hadn’t actually committed a real sin. Maybe I was a little prideful and envious, but nothing that intentionally hurt people.

I wasn’t an expert but I was hoping carrying Lust wasn’t the same thing as being totally tainted by the sin. I’d almost become a victim to it, so I knew what it could really do. I hadn’t come anywhere near that since taking it from Chase. I couldn’t be sure what my chances were of holding out against its effect, but it wasn’t like I’d been some boy crazed teenager before I’d stepped foot into this crazy town.

I had issues.

Now, I was praying those very same issues would be enough to help me fight off Lust for awhile. At least long enough to save our necks. 

I fought against Asher’s power and faced him, hoping I looked somewhat sure in what I was about to say next. If this was going to work, I needed to come off overly confident and maybe even foolish. It was the only thing I had against a creature like Asher. “No it isn’t. I may not have a pure soul anymore, but I haven’t committed any mortal sins or hurt anyone else. Not yet anyway.” Let him think me prideful and therefore an easier mark. “I want the chance to help them. If I can get each marked person to commit a virtuous act, you have to free their soul. If I can’t, you get their soul and mine. One extra soul…a soul you don’t have to turn in.”

I knew the offer was tempting to him by the way he grew silent as he thought it over. Dante had said Asher’s weakness was his own cleverness. How often would a creature like himself feel annoyed at having to turn over seven souls every year? I was hoping it was bad enough that having a soul of his very own would be a deal too good to pass up. I didn’t tell him that Aunt Celeste had been doing it for years since I didn’t think that would help my bargaining position at this point.

Before long he spoke and I almost fell to my face in relief.

“You have one month Eliza Taylor. One month to see if you can redeem one soul I shall release out of its vessel. Should you succeed, I shall release another one, each time allowing you the same window of opportunity. However, should even one fail I shall collect every last one I have marked, including that of the boy you saved tonight…and of course your own.”

Great. So now Chase’s soul depended on my ability to get these other souls to commit a virtuous act. I had no idea how I was going to do that but anything beat the alternative.

“You can’t interfere with anything I do. No cheating,” I added quickly. Dante had warned me it was the small overlooked parts of an agreement with Asher that really got a person. Aunt Celeste had learned that lesson the hard way. I knew I had to be careful now. Asher made devious fine print into an art form.  

Asher only nodded, “Agreed. Are there any other terms?”

I nodded. “Just one, I keep Dante.”

“No.” His answer broke no argument. Good thing I was the argumentative type – though I had to admit even Asher gave me pause.

I opted for begging instead of demanding, “Please Asher! I need him.” I pleaded trying to sound as desperate as I felt. The idea of attempting any of this without him made me break out into a full body sweat. I wouldn’t even know where to start without all the information he had stored in that cranky brain of his. Not to mention he was my ride.  

“Of course you do, but Dante is coming with me.”

“Please!” I didn’t have anything else to offer at this point. At least nothing that would appeal to a creature like Asher. All I could do was convince him that Dante already had suffered enough, which if you asked him I was pretty sure he would readily agree with anyway. “Hasn’t he already been punished enough? Enslaved here with Aunt Celeste for so long? Doing all her dirty work? Cleaning up after her, doing her all her evil bidding?”