Return

Buffy's POV

I turn the corner to catch our stalker just as Faith slams them against the wall of the crypt. She grabs what I think is a person by the throat to keep them at bay. Whatever it is looks like an older woman with brown hair and is about a foot taller than Faith. I stop as I see Faith's eyes go wide at the sight of the person in front of her.

"MOM!?"

What? Did she say mom? She thinks this person is her mom?

I look back and forth between them.

There is a little bit of a resemblance I guess. They have the same nose, the same eyes, and I think the same cheekbones.

Faith is just staring right at her with a blank expression.

"Faith?"

I don't really know what else to say.

All of the sudden, Faith's look turns ice cold and she pulls out a stake from her jacket. I close the gap between us as she raises the stake to stab her mother. The woman puts up her hands in fear.

"Faith, sweetheart I'm sorry..."

I grab Faith by the wrist as she's about to strike. She looks at me like I've gone nuts.

"What are you doing B?"

What am I doing?

"I was gonna ask you the same question. You just called this woman your mom."

"That's because whatever this thing is, it looks like her."

"I'm sorry Faith... I didn't want it to happen like this."

Faith lets go of her mother's neck but keeps her stake at eye level to attack if she has to.

"Happen like what?"

"Our meeting again... I wanted it to go better, but he said you spent a lot of time in cemeteries and I had to know why. What was going on with those people and what happened to them?"

Faith and I look at each other for a second. After a second Faith steps forward, thrusting her forearm against her mother's throat and grips her stake tighter.

"None of your business, and who is HE exactly?"

This woman is obviously scared of the way Faith's acting towards her. I can see it on her face. Faith shouldn't be treating her mom like this.

"I... after so many years I, I wanted to know if you were okay. I h-hired a private detective to track you down, he told me where to find you and I came to talk."

She came looking for Faith? Whoever this is, she must really care about Faith to come looking for her like this. Of course she cares, she's a mother.

"Why?"

"Faith, come on..."

"Stay out of this Buffy..."

Faith leans into her forearm a bit more.

"Why? Why come looking for me?"

Isn't it obvious?

"Because you're my daughter and I was worried about you. I love you firecracker."

Firecracker?

"That must be a new experience for you."

What's Faith talking about?

"What do you mean?"

"Caring about me, that's a new thing for you."

What?

"Faith, I always cared about you. You're my daughter."