Break

Buffy's POV

I hold my mother's hand as the doctor examines her.

I don't like the way he keeps looking at her. Every time he checks her ribs, his face scrunches up like he doesn't like what he's feeling. He doesn't say anything about it but I just know something is wrong.

"Hmm..."

Hmm?

"There's a hmm? What kind of hmm? Why are you saying hmm?"

My mom and the doctor look at me.

"I was simply thinking Ms. Summers."

"Thinking about what? What's there to think about? Did you find something?"

The doctor moves back from examining my mother.

"No, your mother appears to be just fine. It doesn't look as though any bones have been broken or cracked and there's no indication of physical injury, fatal or otherwise."

I let out a breath of relief.

"Are you sure?"

"Very sure Ms. Summers. You can rest assured that your mother has no physical injuries."

The doctor glances at Mom for a second and she returns it.

What's going on?

"However, we would like to have your mother stay with us for a few days to run some tests."

Tests?

"What kind of tests?"

Why is Mom just sitting there listening? Shouldn't she be wondering what kind of tests?

"There's simply a series of tests we would like to run in order to better understand what progress your mother has made in her recovery."

Progress?

"Well, I mean, it's like we were saying before. She's been feeling a lot stronger lately. Doesn't that mean she's getting better?"

"Yes it does, however her progress has been slightly slower than we predicted with the treatment we've provided and we think these tests will help us find out why."

"Oh..."

I look at my mother.

She's not doing so good?

"It would also give you some time for yourself as well."

Myself?

"I'm sorry?"

"Your mother tells me you have been tending to her 24 hours a day since she got sick."

"Your point being?"

Mom jumps in.

"You've been working non-stop to take care of me, and while I love you for everything you're doing, as your mother I can't let you continue like this."

I look between my mother and the doctor.

"So are you really having tests done, or are you just checking in so I don't have to take care of you?"

"Both..."

"Mom, I don't mind taking care of you, you know that."

"I know, and like I said I appreciate what you do, but I'm going to be here for at least a few days. Take some time for yourself. Do some training with Rupert. Get Xander and Anya to take you somewhere fun. Just please don't spend the whole time here with me."

I look down at my feet and take a deep breath.

"If not for your mother then for yourself..."

They aren't going to let this go.

"All right... okay, I'll go do something outside 30 feet of you."

My mom looks to the doctor and they smile at each other.

"Thank you Buffy."

She squeezes my hand weakly and I smile at her.

"You can take my cell phone with you if you need to check in. But please Buffy, try and have some fun."

I take another deep breath.

"I'll try..."

I turn my attention to the doctor.

"What about the tests?"

"I'll have the blood drawn tonight and tests will start first thing tomorrow."

"See Buffy, everything is under control. You can relax."

"Mhmm, looks like... you don't need me anymore."

"I should give you two some time alone."

Mom looks at the doctor as he leaves.

"Thank you doctor."

"You're welcome. Page me if you need anything."

"I will..."

She turns back to me when he's gone.

"I'm not trying to replace you Buffy. And god knows I still need you to help me through this, but you're a young, vibrant woman. You shouldn't spend all your time looking after me."

"I already said I'd go out and do something."

I just don't know what I'd do.