Chapter Twenty-Eight: Hermione's Discovery

"It isn't him, Gaius," Merlin said for the umpteenth time, his voice laced with obvious beseeching. "Please, you must believe me."

The Court Physician sighed in exhaustion and shook his head. They were at it again.

It had not been an hour ever since they returned back to Camelot, but Merlin had been exclaiming again and again that Balthazor was innocent. Although Gaius doubted that it was him who had committed those murders, there was still no solid evidence that would free him from his charges. After all, a similar cloak Balthazor had worn  the first time Gaius saw him was found in the scene of the crime. He might be innocent, but the cloak that was found at the crime scene was incriminating 

"Let us say he is really innocent, Merlin," Gaius then said. "What are you going to do about it? Tomorrow, he is to be executed by burning at a pyre. There is nothing you can do anymore."

With dread settling in his old heart, Gaius knew that the look on Merlin's face only meant that his young mentee had devised a plan, much less a dangerous one.

"Ealdor is an hour or two away from Camelot, yes?" the young warlock asked. When Gaius reluctantly nodded, Merlin pursed his lips in determination. "I'll be back before Balthazor's execution."

"What are you planning, Merlin?" Gaius asked, frowning at his discretion.

Merlin mysteriously smiled. "You'll see," he vaguely said.

__________

Merlin arrived in Ealdor, exhausted and sleepy, but the determination to save the innocent human fuelled him to put his plan into action.

Ealdor was asleep and peaceful, which was perfect for Merlin's plan. He had this feeling that the vampire would attack once again and this time, he swore that he would finally capture the real criminal.

The young warlock, disguised in a thick cloak, dismounted from the borrowed stable horse and tied it against a nearby tree.

He then ran towards his hometown and waited for the attack of the vampire.

While waiting, he ran his plan in his mind. His plan was simple, actually. He would catch the vampire, hex him to become unconscious, and bring him to Ealdor. And then, on the time of Balthazor's execution, Merlin would disguise himself as Dragoon the Great and expose the real vampire. It was fortunate that a portion of the potion that Gaius had made which would turn him back into Merlin after being Dragoon the Great was still stashed away underneath his bedroom floor. Merlin had snatched it without Gaius' knowledge, knowing that someday, he would be in a situation which would require him to become Dragoon the Great once again.

Time flew and Merlin could already see the sun peeking from the horizon. Panic crept in every in his heart while his patience thinned.

'Where is that blasted monster?' he growled inside his mind, annoyed that his empty stomach was not cooperating with him. He left too hastily for him to remember to bring some snacks he could munch on while waiting. His eyes were also constantly drooping now, despite his pleas for it to open up. Today was a tiring day and well, Merlin really could not blame his body for being exhausted by today's events.

'Just a few more minutes,' he beseeched, rubbing his itching eye. A monumental yawn tore away from his mouth and he stood up from his hiding place, stretching his sore body.

A sudden billowing of a cloak caught his eyes and Merlin instantly became alert. "Oh, not this time," he murmured to himself, nimbly running around the barrel he had hid behind and followed the vampire. But then, Merlin being Merlin, the young warlock tripped on his own feet and landed, facedown, on the rocky ground. A soft groan of pain escaped from his mouth and he tried to lift himself up.