Chapter Nine: The Dragon's Wrath

Once Morgause and Morgana disappeared into thin air, the people of Camelot slowly woke up. Hermione was surprise to feel that her energy was back and she wobbly stood up.

Merlin stood a few feet away from her, his eyes still staring at the place where Morgause and Morgana were a while ago. His breathing was heavy; his eyes were a little unfocused and his body was trembling.

Her eyes then caught the attention of Uther as he slowly woke up and stood up. He seemed confused for a while as he massaged his throbbing head. Upon seeing the mess that had happened in the Council Chamber of Doom, he inquired. "What had happened?" he asked.

Arthur, still reeling from the shock of Morgana's disappearance, slowly moved forward. "The Knights of Medhir were real, Father," he clearly explained.

"And then they did this?" he asked, gesturing around the mess.

"Well... sort of," the prince corrected. "While we were away, Camelot had fallen into a deep sleep due to an enchantment that was casted by the sorceress, Morgause."

Anger filled the King's eyes and he slowly descended the stone steps. "Where is she?" he cried. "GUARDS!" Those who had already awoken from their deep slumber rushed inside the room to heed the King's call.

"Father, it is too late," Arthur quickly added, his voice oddly stiff and soft. "She had already disappeared."

King Uther sighed in frustration and ran a hand through his hair. "I knew she was dangerous," he muttered darkly under his breath. Suddenly, he lifted his head, a look of worry crossing his face. "Where is Morgana? Was she affected, too?"

Hermione saw how a look of desperation crossed Merlin's face and he stiffened. Arthur seemed to had been reduced to silence, too, for he looked away from his father, at loss of what to do. Uther started panicking now, demanding Arthur what had happened to his ward, but still, Arthur was reluctant to answer him.

The brunette then found herself stepping forward, attracting the attention of the King. "Sire," she called, her voice cracking with emotion. "Lady Morgana... she..." She paused, heaved a huge breath, and allowed one lone tear to fall down from her eyes. "She disappeared together with Morgause." A look of horror crossed Uther's face. "We could not do anything about it."

"No," Uther breathed, backpedalling in mortification. "No, she can't be. MORGANA!" He cried her name, again and again, hoping to see her bounding inside and ease his despair. But no Lady Morgana came inside and the King slowly sank unto his knees, an anguished look now crossed on his face.

Pained by his father's actions, Arthur gravely approached the King and tried to lift him up to bring him to his room. Uther then latched onto Arthur's arm, tears of grief now streaming down Uther's face. "You must find her, Arthur," he cried. "You and your knights. Find her. Find Morgana. Do not rest until you find her. Do you understand? Find Morgana."

"Yes, yes, Father," Arthur said, appeasing his father. "We will find Morgana soon. But you must rest first." He looked at the guards and ordered them to help his father to his bedchambers. They immediately followed and soon, King Uther was gone from the room.

The sound of silence was deafening as they still reeled with the shock of Morgana's abduction. Hermione quietly observed as Merlin was suddenly attacked with tremors. His breathing grew more ragged and short.

Wordlessly, she walked the remaining distance to him.

Wordlessly, she reached out for his hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

Wordlessly, Merlin mourned for the betrayal that he had done.

__________