Growing Up with the Dursleys

"You need to be stronger!" Snape demanded of Harry, who had once again failed to protect his mind from legilimency. It was Harry's third occlumency lesson and he wasn't getting any better at it. "Do you want Voldemort to be able to control your mind? Are you even trying at all?"

Harry glared at Snape and shot back, "of course I'm trying, do you think I enjoy this?" Then he muttered under his breath, "I'd rather be anywhere but here." Whether Snape heard this comment or not, he did not know, but he was once again overcome by the accomplished Legilimens as he plunged back into memories of his past. This time, he went way back...

Dudley dragged Harry out from his cupboard under the stairs and into the living room so Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon could watch the show. He then used Harry as a punching bag just because he could...

Aunt Petunia was demanding that breakfast be done faster because she was running late for work, then complained when the eggs were undercooked...

Uncle Vernon was threatening to beat Harry after a rather unusual trip to the zoo while Dudley sat unhappily in the corner...

Harry sat on his bed, stomach rumbling, and stared at the set of bars drilled onto his window. Maybe one day he'd escape...

Harry rushed angrily down the stairs and out of the house with all of his possessions, slamming the door behind him. He walked and walked, not a clue where he was headed next...

"Enough!" Harry half shouted. "Please, sir, if I could just have a break..."

"The Dark Lord does not rest, and so neither will you. Now, again!" he replied as he cast the same spell at the exhausted boy in front of him. He was only being so hard on him because he wanted to prepare him, to protect him from Lord Voldemort. After all, he felt bad for the boy, though he would never admit it. Clearly he was never loved and supported as a child, and he certainly wasn't spoiled. Maybe Harry wasn't so much like his father after all...

Molly Weasley embraced Harry in hug and allowed him to sob into her shoulder. It was after the Triwizard Tournament...

Sirius was explaining his family tree to Harry, and pointed to a burnt mark on the tapestry...

Voldemort was standing over a defenseless Harry, who was bound to a tombstone by magic. His red eyes lit up with greed as he said the word "crucio..."

"Stop, just stop," Harry shouted, fear in his eyes. "I can't-"

"Very well," Snape cut him off. You are dismissed." He stowed away his wand and moved back towards his desk. But Harry didn't move.

"Professor?" Harry asked tentatively. Snape gave a curt nod of acknowledgment without looking up from his desk. Harry, sure that was the best response he would get, continued. "Why did you let me come back after the first lesson? I mean, I disobeyed your order and completely overstepped."

"I don't know." He hesitated, then muttered half to himself, "perhaps several reasons." Finally meeting Harry's eyes, he said, "I was curious, for one, as to whether you weren't just a selfish, arrogant boy like your father." Harry was annoyed by this shot at his father's character but ignored the comment. "I also deeply regret that Lily and I did not remain friends throughout her schooling years. It was my fault, and I feel terribly. Now that she's dead, there isn't much I can do to repay her. However, I can do my best to help you. It would be unfair of me to stop our training sessions because of a personal grudge, and unfair to Lily as well," he finished. Seeing Harry's surprised expression, he added, "don't think my dislike for you is any less potent than usual, Potter." However, Harry thought he could detect a twitch of the lip that would have indicated a smile, had it been anyone other than Professor Snape. Lost in his thoughts, Harry got up and left the office, assuming he was dismissed.