Keefe survives

Sophie squeezed Keefe's hand for support as they walked down the hall to lunch. The fact that they had to reveal their secret relationship today didn't do wonders for Sophie's stomach. The level of queasiness increased exponentially the closer they got to the table, and she felt ready to puke once they arrived.

"Don't worry Foster, it'll be okay. Plus, I'll take over if you feel about to toss your cookies." She was grateful for the support, but it didn't make her less nervous about everyone's reactions.

"Ok... I'll try. I just really hope they can be happy for us."

"They will be. Most of them are already in relationships so they'd have no reason to be mad. But Grady is another matter..." Sophie's face softened. Keefe was right, their friends would be jumping up and down. Well... not Tam, but still. Even though he tried to hide it, she could see how nervous Keefe was to face the overprotective father in all of his glory. Sandor would probably side with Grady and hand him a sword which definitely wouldn't help.

"Keefe, Edaline would never let anything happen to you—"

"You think Grady would hurt me?"

"No! I'm just saying... Edaline would be the one to convince him to let us be together. Besides, Grady really wants me to be happy, and if I tell him that you make me happy, he might be less likely to call you That Boy." Keefe's mouth twisted into a smirk, but his eyes didn't sell it.

"Time to reveal our relationship, Foster. You ready?"

"Will I ever be ready?"

"No. So just go and show them what you got!" Sophie wished she could take some of Keefe's enthusiasm to calm her mounting nerves.

As soon as they sat down, everyone's eyes immediately went to Sophie and Keefe's twined fingers. Fitz glared daggers at the almost nonexistent space between them, and Biana looked like she was about to explode.

"So... I... um... well..." her cheeks flushed, and it seemed impossible to make a coherent sentence with so many people watching.

"Spit it out Sophie!" Biana's squeal rang through the cafeteria and everyone became so silent you could hear a pin drop. Great. Just great. Now the entire school would hear about their news.

"Keefe, I can't." He winked at her, and took charge. Thank god for his outgoing nature. Somehow, he wasn't embarrassed in the slightest even though all of Foxfire was hanging on his every word.

Keefe got up, and climbed into the table. What was he doing?

"So! Everyone, Sophie and I are dating! Would you be so kind as to join me on this table my love?" Biana almost fell off the table with excitement, and Fitz's glaring got ten times worse. Tam's eyebrows had gone up higher than Sophie thought possible. Dex and Linh just gave them sweet knowing smiles as if they had suspected this for years. The nerve this kid has to call her his love in front of the entire school! Some part of her brain found it kind of sweet, but she told it to shut up. There was no WAY she would climb on a table with Keefe. The only thing that could come out of that would be embarrassment and most likely a prank. With a glare at Keefe, her face got even more flushed as she climbed up beside him.

"What are you doing?" Sophie hissed, acutely aware of the amount of people staring at her right now.

"You'll see. Have faith in the almighty Keefester!" Wrapping his arm around her, Keefe pulled her close.

"Now that our relationship is out in the open, we can do this!" Sophie didn't have time to think before he dipped her and kissed her passionately.

Everyone else faded away, and they were alone. Wrapping her arms around Keefe's neck, she lost herself in his soft lips, the way his arms held her strong but still gentle. Everything about the moment was perfect, and a soft sigh escaped her mouth as she moved her lips in sync with his. By the time he brought her back up, people were squealing and yelling. A huge mob of people surrounded their table, and they had gotten so preoccupied with the kiss that neither of them had noticed.