16

When Tao was released, he didn't make contact with anyone but me. It was an indirect message from some random number, and only gave me directions.

I took his things in a bag and made my way down the street immediately. I knew it was him, because that address was somewhere I happened to know very well.

"Tao." I whispered as I walked into the room.
"Were you followed?"
"Followed? Please." I rolled my eyes, setting down his things.

I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around him, mumbling that he owed me.
"Sorry about all this. But it has to be done. You won't be able to see me again for a while."

"I know." I smiled, "Besides, I've got my own project going on."
"Is that so?"

I giggled as I went to walk out, "Tao, Tao~ even though I'd probably cry if something bad happened to you, it doesn't mean I can't live without you. So stop using that tone of voice."

He sighed, "You've known all along. Yet you never actually said anything."

"Known what? That neither you nor Angela have any birth records? The lack of information in hospital and orphanage records lead me to the work of a very interesting professor who's been arrested for using high tech to create perfect humans. The second, Angela, being more successful than the first. That's what you're implying right? That you're not human like me? Not born the same way?" I wondered aloud,

"Did you want me to confront you and ask if you knew? I went over the numbers, the history, the connections, every movement down to the finest detail to figure you out, Tao. You should have known that I would have looked into you before we met up, and that when you first asked me to investigate Angela's supposed mother, I'd look into Angela too."

"I did. I was confused when you never seemed to be bothered."

I laughed, "That's because I'm not bothered! After this, you might never be able to live out in the open again. But I don't care. Even if you lack human emotion, and the ability to express it, I still feel something from you. I can still hear your heartbeat and I know you care. I know you're more like me than you'll allow yourself to believe."

"How can you say that so easily? To stay with me you'd have to leave everything behind."
"Yup." I replied, shrugging, "You should know me better than this Tao! I would drop everything to go out into the universe with you in a second! It's exciting!"

"You..."
"So when we've completed our missions... let's begin new lives together. If you'll have me, that is."

"Well... being together is better than being alone. It's more practical as well."
"Of course it is." I snickered, glancing back at him, "See you soon, then."