1

I had known him from high school, even though we never really said a word to each other and he didn't bother trying to go out of his way to really make any friends.

He was always in his own world, listening to something to drown out everyone else. I had other people to deal with in my pathetic high school career, but this guy had always interested me.

Then, once he started climbing up the ranks in music, and I took on a profession that would more so be frowned upon, we were shoved into close range once again.

He wanted information on the people he was working with, since he had trust issues but couldn't completely rely on only AI employee's at such an early stage of his relationship.

Like Mr. Tao, I was a technological genius. We just used the genius in two different ways.
After a while, though, it seemed that our little secret visits here and there with info and money trades weren't enough for him, and he forced himself to come to a café I invited him to to talk it over.

"A private room?" He asked with a blunt expression, though I smirked, knowing he hadn't expected this.

"I had a slight hunch you didn't like other people, just a little hint you give off here and there." I shrugged, though I rolled my eyes when he wasn't looking - because his hate for humans was even more obvious than mine.

After ordering and sitting in a comfortable silence, Tao got right down to business. He wanted to hire me to do more specific work, and so that I would be obliged to do as he wished more often.

Not going to lie, I was definitely intrigued and the whole idea of it was kind of exciting. I'd never done anything like it before, and the mere fact that Tao was this paranoid, or at least this interested in me, was more than enough to make me want to say yes.

I would probably never get to do anything as fun as the things I would get to do if I signed his stupid little contract.

I read it over carefully as he sipped on his tea. He watched my every move, as if trying to read my body language, but I knew about humans so much more than he did. This guy only cared about technology, and would probably prefer it if he never had to deal with humanity at all.

He put his entire being into machines and how they worked, and how he could make them work in all the ways that he wanted. He only knew so much about humans, that didn't even come close to how I had studied them.

"This is pretty compelling, Mr. Tao." I smiled, "But is this really what you want?"
"Having you is a practical, and rather safe decision, all in my benefit."
I hummed, sighing, "See that's where I get antsy, Mr. Tao. Your benefit... but what about mine? Man, you're bad at this aren't you? You may not care for flattery, but I love being flattered you know."

He frowned, glaring at me, as if that would make me do what he wanted, "I'll be paying you-"
"Ah, ah, shut up." I interrupted, raising a finger, "Why are you trying to bribe me?"
"Every human would do just about anything for money." He replied simply, mater-of-fact, and I chuckled.

"I guess you're right. But as much as I love money, that won't be enough. See, I've never really had to work for any one before. I find it a pain in my ass. But, I kind of like you, Mr. Tao, of course in a way that's more like I hate you less than I hate everyone else. The organization that you work in is filled with surprise and constant evolution, and I live for that kind of thing! So, I'll do it. But if you bore me... Mr. Tao..."

I paused, smiling as I locked eyes with his, "We're done. Deal?"

"Deal."