foreword

HELLO, READERS!

    If you've clicked on this story, I love you. Simple as that. However, I do have some notes that pertain to the content of this fic, so PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING WARNINGS and I'll try to make them as short as possible!!

   1.)  This is (first and foremost) a Jerome Valeska fanfiction. I absolutely adore his character and put a lot of thought into how I portray him to make it as accurate and true to the show as possible; therefore, scenes of violence and gore are unavoidable. In this story, Jerome exhibits clear signs of mental instability and illness, as shown through his destructive and obsessive behaviors. (Quinn's mental stability is also in question a few times as well.) I understand that mental illness is both a sensitive and serious matter that shouldn't be discussed lightly and, as such, I work to address the obvious struggle Jerome has with insanity in a way that is both respectful and informed. If any of you feel that I have made a potentially offensive error in my portrayal of his illness, or have other concerns or questions for me about his behaviors, please comment or DM me to let me know and I'll be happy to discuss it with you. It is NOT my intention to make light of mental illness, but rather spread awareness concerning the daily struggle so many of us have with our mental health.

   2.)  IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ALL FIVE SEASONS, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS. Starting about halfway through Season Two I'll be introducing a few characters into the story earlier than we see them in the actual show. It is essential to Quinn's character arc as well as the story's overall conflict that I do this, and I promise I will put a warning up on the chapters these characters are first introduced so that you can avoid spoilers if you please. (These characters are formally introduced to the show in Season 4 Episode 17, in case you are wondering how far you need to watch to avoid spoilers.)

   3.)  Finally, MANY of the relationships portrayed in this story are not healthy. I will do my best to highlight this and make it abundantly clear as I write them, and give constant reminders that in any relationship--whether it's familial, friendly, or romantic--respect, understanding, compassion, and compromise are essential. Please be aware of how your family, friends, and significant others treat you and never settle for anything less than a safe, loving relationship. You are deserving of respect, no matter what you look like, where you are from, what you identify as, or who you are attracted to. Be safe.

   That about wraps it up...? I'll address anything else as I need to in the author's notes throughout the book, and any trigger warnings concerning gore, excessive violence, abuse, or suicidal thoughts and actions will be posted at the beginning of their corresponding chapters. Please keep spoilers about the show out of the comments--but other than that I DO encourage commenting because I love hearing from people about my work!

   With all that said, enjoy!

fondly, your author, Abbie