We're All Sorry. I Swear.

Dear Skin,

People talk about you too much.

Some dislike you heavily, while others spend their days giving bland speeches on the importance of loving you. But I think we’ve forgotten something. We’re constantly centering on how we feel inside of you, but may I ask, how do you feel inside us? Does it hurt feeling how our volatile rage and our dry sadness erupt from you? We do stupid things to feel closer to you, when the reality is we are building towers in between.

It must hurt. And I’m sorry. From all of us.

But you have to comprehend, we’re humans. We hurt and then expect to be loved. Hurt to make us feel a little more alive. Hurt to make us feel powerful, thinking we’re in control.

Hurt to blind our own pain.

We’re humans and sometimes thinking about what we are makes it frightening and other times beautiful.

Some of us don’t even have a balance.

We destroy, hoping we can build the same things as they were before. We love the reflection on the mirror more than the unseen version of ourselves. That’s a mystery, you know? Humans never get to see themselves without reflections, and the worst part is that sometimes these are distorted.

We let other humans touch our soul and then behold how they run away with it in their hands. We crave perfection and then bleed for it, painting you in dread.

But we’re also greater than what we think the word human connotes. We’re a soul, whose body is non-existent and whose consciousness lives forever.

And you? You’re our home.

Sincerely,

Somebody