ct-8 Kai's Day One

Start from the beginning

"Well you looked like you had been on the road for some days." she said while serving herself some porridge "I thought you needed the release." when he didn't reply she continued.
"I see you got acquainted with my cousin Elena at the dinner." He looked surprised.

"I take it she didn't tell you she was my cousin. She keeps that information to herself most times." He still didn't speak.
"Are you hungry Kai?" She asked

"I'll manage." he said. She'd have none of that. She called for the maid who left and brought another plate and spoon much to Kai's protests.

"Well don't just stand there." she said while serving porridge into his plate. He grudgingly took a seat beside her. She pushed the plate to him and he began eating.

"So where are you from?" She asked

"Mohja." Kai replied with a full mouth

"You're a long way from Mohja." she said. He grunted a yes. "What were you doing so far from home?"

"I wanted to start a life somewhere else." he said

"Oh, what about your family?" She asked

"Where will we be going today lady princess?" Kai said, changing the topic abruptly. They'd pick it up another time then.

"Well first we're going to the barracks. I want to give the family of the guards I lost during the elf attack my condolences." She said "Then we'll go see the surviving elf." Kai's head shot up at that. "I warn you he will not be in the most hospitable shape." she added. "From there well, we'll figure the rest out"

Thirty minutes later, they were headed to the barracks. Katherine was very relieved at not having three guards follow her everywhere. It was just Kai who rode a brown stallion the stable boy had offered him beside her white pretty mare which she called Anais.

"What will you call your horse Kai?" She asked him

"It is not mine lady princess." he replied

"Oh don't be silly. Fine then, I give you this horse should you choose to keep it." she said "will you keep it?" She asked

"If you insist lady princess." he said

"Yay! Now what will you call him? I was thinking Kai junior." she said with an eager look on her face.

"You really should stop naming things lady princess." he said. She scowled at him.

"You really should stop naming things lady princess." she said in a pathetic attempt at imitating him. But the effect was worth it when she heard him chuckle for the first time.

They soon came to a stop at the barracks, Kai's large admirable sword sheathed behind him drawing her attention. How odd it was, both the sheathing and the sword. There were definitely things to this man she must know.

They walked into the training house of the barracks. It was a well built place. The roof was actually a glass dome that would light up the whole place. The glass was made in such a way that it would absorb heat rather than concentrate it.

Guards were sparring with each other in the center of the room while a group of people who did not look like they belonged here stood in a corner. The families then. Every single person in the room stopped and looked towards her then bowed. She waved at them all.

She walked to the families. She heard them murmur lady princess several times. Then they bowed.

"Please." she said "it's alright. I came here today to sympathize with you all."

"You shouldn't have lady princess. Capetian Mateo has already seen us. But how kind of you to leave your affairs for us." a tall man said.

"It's the least I could do. They died trying to keep me safe." Katherine said. She felt grief for the guards who died that day. She did not know them personally but she recognized some of them when they moved about the castle. They died trying to save her, not caring what or who they would leave behind.