His Last Vow: Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, that's for a reason. You know they'll never shut up about the engagement? And they're going to ask so many questions that you won't want to answer, and..." You trailed off, not wanting to think about it. You hadn't seen your parents in awhile and you were sure they were going to embarrass you.

"And they're ordinary parents." Sherlock told you. "So you have nothing to worry about."

"I guess so." You frowned, Sherlock gave you a reassuring smile before kissing you on the cheek and then taking off towards the kitchen. You rolled your eyes before you followed after him.

You helped Mrs. Holmes in the kitchen a bit while Sherlock and Mycroft sat at the table. Both doing who knows what, you weren't really concerned. But you did notice Sherlock had set a timer on his watch and periodically kept glancing at it. He definitely had something planned.

"Y/n! Hello!" Mr. Holmes greeted you, waving through the kitchen's entryway. You gave him a brief wave back as he continued on his way to stoke the fire to keep the house warm on this chilly Christmas Day.

Not long later, Mary arrived and you took a break from the kitchen, not able to handle Mycroft's complaining much longer. You smiled at Mary as she entered. She was much further along in her pregnancy now and was definitely showing. Her and John had been having a rough time lately, which was expected, but she was staying strong. You'd forgiven her at least, which she was extremely thankful for. And you knew that John would come around on his own time, he was too forgiving to just leave Mary in the dust.

"Thank goodness you're here." You breathed. "If I had to spend another waking moment with those two..." You sighed, glancing back towards the kitchen where Mycroft and Sherlock were. Bill was also somewhere around the house, probably plotting some plan Sherlock had formed. Mary laughed brightly before she sat down and you both talked for a while. You'd even had a normal conversation with Sherlock's father, it was nice to know someone wasn't only concerned with your and Sherlock's love life in this house. What you'd been dreading eventually became reality when you heard a sharp knock on the door. Your parents.

"I'll get it!" You called, hurrying from your chair to answer the door before anyone else could. You pulled open the door to see your parents smiling on the doorstep.

"Y/n!" Your mother greeted, tossing her arms around you as she squeezed you tightly. "I haven't seen you in forever! Where's this Sherlock fellow we've heard all about?" She grinned, looking around the room. You stepped back for them to walk in.

"Oh, um, he's in the kitchen." You told them, pointing them in the direction.

"Lucky he invited us! He'd said you must've forgotten! Ha!" Your dad laughed at that, placing a hand on your shoulder. They did like making the 'I forgot' jokes since they knew you just preferred not to tell them most things, considering you couldn't forget anything. They thought it was funny.

Hearing the voices in the entryway, Sherlock emerged from the kitchen along with his parents. They all greeted each other happily while you covered your face, escaping back to talking with Mary.

They eventually migrated back into the kitchen and you breathed in relief that you didn't have to talk to them much longer. But you were proven wrong when minutes later, they were all calling you in. You sighed, apologizing to Mary before you dragged yourself into the kitchen.

***

"Yes, wedding, Y/n! When is the wedding?!" Your mom asked, gesturing to your engagement ring. You glanced down at it before giving Sherlock a look. You knew they'd bring this up eventually. You'd told him they would.

"Mom... we're not having a wedding." You told her simply, folding your hands together.

"No wedding?!" Sherlock's mom gasped. Here we go, you thought.