A Study in Pink: Chapter 2

"So, what's this unexpected meeting for then?" You asked the woman who sat in the car, furiously typing away on her mobile phone.

"Well, you must already know." She stated, not looking up from her phone.

"Mmm, this one was unexpected. Still piecing it together." You turned towards the window, the rest of the car ride silent as you thought.

You figured this meeting would have something to do with the case, probably about his kid brother, Sherlock. You'd never met him because Mycroft never mentioned him, you knew they were related once you heard his name back at the crime scene.

Mycroft usually asked you favours about things such as this, whether it be about a case or some specific person he needed info on. He didn't like doing that work himself, he always refused to do anything but office work. You were basically his undercover fieldwork 'agent'. You had agreed to help Mycroft because it kept you out of your flat when you didn't have any work. You constantly kept busy.

Soon, the car pulled into a large hidden warehouse and stopped. You could see Mycroft standing a few meters in front of the car, leaning on his umbrella. You suspected he'd look intimidating to those who didn't know him, however, as much as he tried, he couldn't intimidate you.

You exited the car, approaching him.

"You know, you don't always have to arrange unexpected meetings like this to talk to me, Mycroft. I do have a mobile." You told him irritably, showing him you did indeed have a phone. You liked Mycroft, but he was wasting your time. He must know you were busy at the moment.

"You know I prefer talking in person." Mycroft told you in his boring, monotone voice.

"Yes, but I have pressing matters at the moment. I have a murder to solve. You know that by now." You told him as you stopped in front of him, crossing your arms.

"I thought it was a suicide?" Mycroft questioned.

"Oh use your brain, Mycroft. If it was a suicide I'd already be off this case. Suicides are boring. Please continue so I may get back to work." You told him, already knowing he was testing you as always. You were unsure why, he knew he couldn't get anything past you.

"As always, Y/N. I brought you here because of Sherlock." He said. You looked up at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, I knew this had something to do with your kid brother. What do you want from me?" You sighed, surely he could handle his younger brother himself.

Mycroft was silent for a moment, his face holding stoney displeasure. "You've seen him- he's trouble. I can't have you working near him."

Your eyebrows creased as you studied him. "What? Why?"

"If you're seen near him, which you will be, you're no longer of use to me." He explained.

You pondered this a moment. "I'm afraid I will be of no longer use to you. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding someone to replace me."

Mycroft seemed annoyed by your answer, but you didn't care. You were figuring out his brother whether he liked it or not. He couldn't stop you.

"I'm afraid you're making the wrong decision."

"And you think I care?"

At that Mycroft studied you. "No, of course you don't. I knew this would happen sooner or later. Once the two of you met, you'd be drawn to one another."

Your eyes shot to his upon hearing that. "Drawn to one another?" You weren't sure where he was going with that.

"Yes, you both want to figure each other out. Which means you'll be spending quite the amount of time together. I'm confident you'll form some sort of... bond." Mycroft looked unsettled as he spoke the word, 'bond'.