The Empty Hearse: The End

Sherlock looked up from the bomb to gaze at John with a hopeless and apologetic look. You continued to hide your face in your hands as you 'thought of a way out'.

"I'm sorry." He spoke softly gazing at John who scrunched his face up in stress. He looked at Sherlock as if he wasn't quite sure what he had said.

"What?" He looked back down at Sherlock, his eyes squinted. He didn't hear Sherlock apologize often, and now he had heard it an abundance of times in the last day.

"I can't... I can't do it, John. I don't know how." Sherlock spoke, you looked up from your hands for just a moment to see tears coming to his eyes. You shoved your face quickly back into your hands as he pushed himself up to his knees, his concentration still on John. "Forgive me?"

"What?" John snapped, looking towards Sherlock but not meeting his eyes.

"He's asking for forgiveness, John. For everything we've done, all the hurt we've caused you." You spoke into your hands, shaking your head back and forth. You felt John's eyes on you for a moment before he shook his head in disbelief.

"No, no, no, no, no, no. This is a trick." John spoke in disbelief, you pulled your hands from your face to look at him. Tears streaming down your cheeks as you looked up at him in disbelief.

"You think this is a trick?" You asked, hiccuping as you whipped your face with the back of your hands. John looked at you before he again shook his head, not wanting to believe that it was real.

"Another one of your bloody tricks. Y/n we both know you're oddly good at acting." John fought, looking back and forth in between you and Sherlock.

"We're going to die, John!" You yelled, slumping further into the floor. He shook his head, a little less confident this time.

"You're just trying to make me say something nice." He growled, still looking back and forth between you and Sherlock. Sherlock was slumped over, his hands pressed together as he looked up a John.

"Not this time." He chuckled darkly, looking towards you for a brief moment.

"It's just to make you both look good even though you behave like..." John stopped, grimacing before he took in a heavy breath. He looked away from the both of you gripping desperately onto one of the carriage's handrails as he stamped his foot hard on the floor in anger. Sherlock slid away from the bomb, sitting next to you as you both stared out towards the other side of the carriage.

"I wanted you guys not to be dead." John looked finally up at you and you saw he was really fighting back tears as he spoke, his voice still heavily coated in anger.

"Yeah, well, be careful what you wish for." Sherlock spoke as you leaned into his shoulder. "If we hadn't come back, you wouldn't be standing there and you'd still have a future, with Mary." Sherlock spoke forcefully, dragging a hand down his face. You shook your head, burying your face into Sherlock's coat, taking a deep breath.

"Yeah. I know." John nodded, turning away from the both of you. You looked up at Sherlock to see he was pressing his fist to his face as he shook his head, avoiding tears. John turned back towards the two of you, his intense look still held on his face. "Look, I find it difficult. I find it difficult, this sort of stuff." You nodded into Sherlock's shoulder, wrapping your arms around his.

"I know." Sherlock spoke weakly, glancing down at you before he looked up to John. His eyes were brimmed with red and they looked puffy. John looked at the two of you a moment before he blew out a long breath.

"You two were the best and the wisest people... that I have ever known." John said as he wiped a hand across his face. He sniffed as he looked towards the ground, rising his head to look up at the both of you. You turned from Sherlock's shoulder to look up at him with teary eyes, sniffing as he looked at you. "Yes, of course I forgive you. Both of you." Another tear fell down your cheek as you looked at him. Slowly, John stepped back, closing his eyes tight as he prepared himself for death.