The Reichenbach Fall: Chapter 1

Over the next few months your and Sherlock's detective career hit the papers hard. Practically everywhere you looked there was a picture of Sherlock with his deerstalker cap, his face aimed downwards, away from the cameras. Or pictures of you, with your coat pulled tight around your waist, staring off in the distance. Most commonly were pictures of the both of you, walking side by down the street. Occasionally, there was a picture of you, Sherlock, and John. You'd made headlines everywhere. You weren't sure why the press was so interested in the two of you, you just did what the police couldn't.

Along with solving cases, there came the tiny press conferences called where clients could thank you. To you, it was a waste of time, to the press? They ate it up. And for some odd reason people always felt inclined to give you or Sherlock gifts, they were always impractical, but John always forced you to give your thanks and keep them anyway. 221B was practically filled with useless stuff by now, but you tried to make the best out of the things you received. For instance, multiple people had gifted you scarves that were rather hideous, you'd made them into drapes for Mrs. Hudson mixed with some old fabric and she'd loved them. Your favorite gift though, had to be the one Lestrade and his team had bought for Sherlock. His very own deerstalker cap. Naturally he hated it, but that didn't stop you from taking every chance you could to make fun of him for it. Along with the collection of gifts, Sherlock found some obsession with reading the articles people had been writing. You didn't like reading them, but Sherlock always made fun of how they wrote, or how incredibly inaccurate something was. And sometimes, well, sometimes there were the adjectives. The neat little titles people decided to use for you that they thought wrapped you up in one descriptive word. You hated them, especially when Sherlock forced you to read them.

"'Boffin.' 'Boffin Sherlock Holmes.'" He complained now, throwing down an article in front of John as he turned away. He was quite irritated by this title. There had been many different ones in other papers, but this one seemed to annoy him the most. You weren't sure why, the definition of boffin is simply a person who is engaged in scientific or technical research. You weren't taking the chance of asking him.

"I told you to stop reading them." You shook your head at his bothered look. You had warned him, but Sherlock rarely listened to your advice on these sorts of things. Maybe he should in the future. You sighed, shaking your head at Sherlock before looking back down at a case file Molly had passed over you to do a once over of. You scribbled out something she'd written, re-writing it.

"Everybody gets one." John told Sherlock, reaching over to look over the article. John picked it up, scanning it over for himself.

"One what?" Sherlock muttered, pacing back towards John. You glanced up at him, noticing his increasingly irritated look. You smiled softly, looking back to the file.

"Tabloid nickname: 'SuBo'; 'Nasty Nick.' Shouldn't worry – I'll probably get one soon." John assured Sherlock as he flipped through the paper. He was just happy he hadn't gotten one yet. He wouldn't be saying that when they did.

"Page five, column six, first sentence." Sherlock went back towards where you were sitting in his chair, scooping up the deerstalker. You chuckled softly to yourself, so they had already given him a nickname. This was going to be entertaining.

"If you care for your sanity, John. I'd suggest not mulling over whatever they've decided to call you." You told him, flipping the file closed as you moved on to the next one. You looked up at Sherlock to see him punching the inside of his deerstalker out of anger.

"Why is it always the hat photograph?" He raged.

"Sherlock! Be nice to it, that's your future right there." You pointed to the hat with your pen and he groaned, his shoulders drooping. This only made your smile widen. You liked messing with him a little.