Chapter 19: Smile

Start from the beginning

Royce shook his head. "I heard your name on the news a couple of times. You and your team were researching a vaccine for the pandemic, weren't you?"

Neo nodded. "Yes. But I died before I could present my research."

Dying was an understatement. His death was by far the worst timing in the history of poorly-timed deaths. To die a few mere moments after finding a major breakthrough against one of the most notorious epidemics in history was an absolute disgrace.

The virus emerged from unknown origins. It grew like cancer, starting from the lungs before spreading throughout the body. There was no evidence of it being infectious.

Some people just started having it, beginning with the elderly and immune-compromised.

Eventually, Neo was able to trace the origin of the vaccine back to its roots, and as it turned out, the virus had a wild history.

In the process of human evolution, there was a virus similar to the placenta, which invaded the body of the earliest human ancestors.

It had been dormant within the human body for millennia, until now.

Neo suddenly realized something and a frown appeared on his face. "Did they find a cure for the virus then?"

Royce nodded. "Yes. They said one of the test samples you were cultivating managed to eradicate the virus entirely. It evolved with the virus and continued to eliminate it until the body was cured. It was all over the news. People were celebrating."

"That's good—"

"—Until your death was also reported. I heard a friend of yours donated your body to science."

Neo was given a very pointed look, but he didn't care. He was able to save those people. Finally, that was one regret he didn't have to worry about.

Despite himself and his own misgivings, the hard look in Royce's eyes softened.

"What about you? Were you from the States?"

Royce was pulled from his thoughts.

Caught slightly off-guard, he snorted. "No. That's a very Ameragan thing to say, by the way. I was actually Anglish. God save the Queen."

Neo guessed the other might have also done something great in the other world, seeing as his circumstances were similar to his own.

Perhaps he joined the army and made his way up the ranks. Or became a wealthy man through many means. Or even a writer or an artist. No matter what, Neo was sure Royce's ambitions were just as fulfilled as his own.

"Did you achieve your dreams?"

---

There was no way in hell he was going to admit this in front of Nazareth, but Royce was actually a big fan of Doctor Overland.

Some may ask, how did a famous jewelry designer like himself become seemingly obsessed with the works of a medical researcher?

And it was completely reasonable to be skeptical of the two connections since they were, after all, in two completely different fields.

Royce's fascination for the man started when he first read an article about Doctor Overland back in high school.

Doctor Overland was a young man, good-looking, and a peerless genius.

But most importantly, he had a nice face.

Instant inspiration.

A genius with a symmetrical face and the longest eyelashes he's ever seen.

The Reincarnated Villainous Young Master's Guide to HappinessOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara