Cнα⅊тɛʀ 16 (edited)

Start from the beginning

I decided to check what was going on, leaving my bed, and paddling my way to the living room where I saw Nina on the sofa. She was playing with her Bratz dolls recreating a scene from Mean girls where Cady tries to comfort Karen after Regina George had told her off for being stupid. A good film but a bad recreation by my little sister.

Mom still wasn't back from her so called "meeting" with Dr Arthur, but she also hadn't left any messages or calls which meant that it must have been going well. Heading to the kitchen my dry parched throat scratched whenever I tried to swallow my saliva. I picked up a Pepsi from the fridge and greedily gulped it to relieve the pain I'd been suffering from. The drink refreshed my senses and energy flowed through my body allowing me to wake up from the sleep I'd trapped myself with.

Deciding that it was best to spend some time with my sister at this point in the night and to keep an eye on her, so she didn't end up eating more of mom's cake, I sat down on the sofa, only to be interrupted by the shrill sound of our doorbell. At first, I thought it might be mom but then again mom never rang the bell since she always had a spare key on her. 'A stranger at the door? At this time in the night?' I was sceptical to open the door for fear of who could be on the other side of the door but when the bell rang a second time, I reluctantly got up.

Staring in front of the door, I went on my tip toes and squinted through the peephole. Nina's voice echoed in the background, but I shushed her quickly so that the person couldn't hear us inside. Standing in front of our house was a middle-aged man with brown hair that was beginning to show signs of greying. He looked tall, not tall enough to match Elijah but tall enough that women swooned when they saw him. With dark brown eyes that almost looked black in the dark I noticed the formal wear he'd dressed up in. Still not opening the door, I spoke through the thick barrier, trying to stay calm as my nerves rose.

"Hello, how can I help you, sir?" I respectfully asked, trying to sound confident and strong. The man didn't speak for a second, a mumbling sound coming from somewhere behind him as he faced from the door and shuffled something around before facing the door again.

"Hi there, I'm sorry to announce myself out of the blue but I'm Arthur Aldrich. Your mother drank a little too much so I'm dropping her off at her house. You must be Nora, right?" The man questioned and I waited for a second before seeing the man reveal my mother slouching against Arthur as she mumbled incoherently about lobsters and Ariel.

Immediately seeing my mom and her tarnished state I throw the door open in haste and fumble around to let them both into the house. Nina looked around the corner of the living room into the hallway, her eyes wide but a smirking quirk on her lips. 'She was going to humiliate mom for this once she'd sobered up, for sure' I concluded as mom nearly fell to the floor if it wasn't for Arthur wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Sweetie, take me to see Sebastian. I want to meet-" Her voice slurred as I motioned to Arthur for him to guide her to the sofas in the living room. When he finally managed to get mom there, he unslung his arms, and she took the initiative to heavily chuck herself on to plush padding. She tried grabbing at Arthur and tried to pull him down with her whilst she sang, "Under da sea, under da sea, darling it's better..." She drifted off as soft snores escaped her small body and her eyes fluttered closed.

A concerned look crossed my features when I understood just how drunk mom had become. Arthur, unlike me, seemed to find this amusing when he looked at mom in an adoring fashion and smiled lovingly towards her. When I went off to grab a blanket for mom, I returned to see Arthur in the same stop, looking around the room and concentrating on the photos that were hanging on our walls.

The photos weren't anything amazing, really. They were goofy photos, selfies, and group pictures where we looked to be enjoying our time together. Varying from our younger years and then all the way to our older years, it was basically a timeline, but we made sure not to have any photos of dad. He wasn't deserving of a place on our wall of goofy photos.