Cнα⅊тɛʀ 1 (edited)

Nora's P

Nora's P.O.V

'Think of the money, think about how it'll help your family out, focus on the job Nora', that's how I reminded myself why I'm doing this when I woke up too early for a saint like me.

Cooper's Incorporation was hiring for a personal assistant and knowing that my mom wasn't doing so well financially in upholding the job, the house and, my sister and me meant that I wanted to help her. It was supposed to be a simple job for a simple girl or at least that's how the advertisement made it seem although there were a couple of bad rumours about the Coopers with some quoting, they tortured their workers. Regardless, money had always been money, so when I applied, went through the interview process, and then got a call back saying I start next Monday... Well, who knew how the next few chapters of my life would go?

Now the day had arrived, and I begrudgingly sat up in bed, debating whether it was risk-worthy to get a few extra minutes in bed or whether it'd be best to get to work on time, after all good impressions counted. Deciding I wanted to be professional, I hurried to get washed and dried, placing on a formal white blouse, tight black pencil skirt and a pair of black heels. My hair was tied into a high ponytail and my makeup was kept to a minimal amount of foundation and light rosy lip balm.

'How do personal assistants even look and act? Am I supposed to be strict and high class, or can I just be a regular worker?' I'd never done this before and no amount of googling different styles of the same question would help me figure out this mess.

I was nervous to say the least with jittery fingers and shaky breaths but also excited that I'd finally have my first ever job. My room was a mess, but I'd worried about that later, it was the least of my problems unlike the ticking time that counted down the minutes I had left. After gathering my work belongings which consisted of my phone, some snacks, and a water bottle, I checked I had everything I needed and went downstairs.

My mom, Rosalia Jones, or Rose for short, sipped her morning coffee whilst watching a TV show. It sounded like one of those renovation ones to do with houses and gardens, but I couldn't figure out which one. At the sound of my descent mom glanced in my direction, studying my clothes with an impressive glance as I walked over to the dining table and picked up the sandwich that was left for me, vigorously munching on it.

"You don't have to do this, sweetie. I just need more time, and everything will be fine", mom commented whilst frowning at me.

I sighed in annoyance as she pestered me for the hundredth time about the job, explaining in an exasperated tone "Mom we've talked about this, if we want to keep this house, we have to pay the rent on time, or we'll get evicted and if we want to pay for Nina's education then this is the only way we can be safe."