Miss Y/N,

I hope this has made it to you safely. Forgive us if we are overstepping our boundaries, but we couldn't help but feel that this was the only right thing to do.

     -[city name] staff

Her breath hitched when she pulled out a laminated piece of paper that seemed to be made up of torn bits taped together correspondingly to form fitted words.

This..

The knuckles of her fist turned blue from how hard she gripped the bag. What was the meaning of all of this? Why was this here? How was this here?

What the hell was S/N's letter doing here?

Was this some sort of sick joke?

She remembered so vividly. Her mother—or rather, S/N's mother...tearing this paper to shreds right in front of her very eyes. Did the hospital really send it to her out of sympathy?

There was a rush of emotions that flooded Y/N, something she didn't like one bit. Just when she was trying to put all of this behind her, she had acquired the one thing her sister had left her. The one fragment of S/N she would ever get to have.

Then her mother's twisted face flashed in her face. A face twisted with so much grief, sadness, and rage that she would never forget. "S...S/N...she left you a letter...but you don't deserve it."

...I can't help it.

Ignoring the gnawing guilt clawing at her, she began reading the letter through clenched teeth. In the end, she really had no shame, huh? She had nothing left anyways. What dignity did she have to cling onto?

The first words were like a solid punch to the gut.

.

.
To my sister, Y/N...

There's so many things I want to say, yet I'm struggling to find the right words...Figures, I've never been one to be good with words. Not like you Y/N. The blatant truth is that I could never be able to compete with you in any aspect; whether its strength, beauty, smarts...

But that's okay. I didn't mind that much.

Ever since I could speak my first words, I've always looked up to you. Literally. (why were you so much taller than me T_T) Sorry that didn't really fit the mood...Don't feel bad about this, please. It was a choice that I made after much thought. I've been longing for this type of freedom for a while now. I'm just not cut out to survive in this society.

You must be thinking this is really selfish of me, haha. After all, you're probably suffering a lot too.

I'm sorry I didn't have the courage to tell you all this face to face. And I'm sorry for running away from you that day at the convenience store. I was just too overwhelmed at the time. But hey, you sure got even more pretty these past years. There must be a million boys and girls after you. They better all be treating you right or else I'll come and haunt their ass for eternity.

Do you remember our secret hiding spot from when we were little? Where we buried that time capsule? If you ever miss me, head there. I'll even ditch all the hot anime guys in heaven to come and see you.

So don't be sad, alright?

your lil sis,
~S/N

.

.

.

Drip.

A single, lone droplet of water splashed onto the letter, immediately being absorbed and causing the fragile ink to slightly blur. The edge of the sheet crinkled together from the pressure it was receiving, especially due to the fact that it was held together by mere tape and a plastic hold.

The look on her face was unreadable. Loose strands of H/C created a dark shadow over her eyes as she wordlessly stood up and headed out the door, letter still clutched tightly in her hand.

Even though it had been many, many years since that time of her life, she could still remember it so vividly as if it all happened yesterday. The hiding spot her and S/N would go to whenever they wanted peace and quiet. Nobody knew of this place but them. Not even their parents. It was a special place that their younger selves promised to cherish for the rest of their lives.

Y/N never went back ever since the incident.

And since then, she thought she would never have to courage to go back to that place.

That was, until now.

A gust of air hit her face once she stepped outside. Yet what caught her attention was the foreign feeling of liquid dropping onto her palms. One droplet came after another, a repeating cycle that only seemed to accelerate.

It's...raining..?

She tilted her head and glanced up at the sky.

It was as clear as ever before.

•••

omg sO cliChe-

THANK YOU FOR 200 FOLLOWERS WOOHOOooOo (ily)

aNyOnE wAnNa gUESs whAt TMr iS????

.

.

got ur guess?

.

.

it's the one year anniversary since the first chapter of ephemeral was published ahHhHHhHhhH!!!

I can't believe it's been a whole mf year. I started actually writing the first ten or so chaps months before I actually started publishing them, but May 31st will always hold a special place in my heart👊🏼😤

in honor of ephemerals one year anniversary, i want to try something I've always wanted to do.

if you know, you know:

c r e e p e r.