Cнα⅊тɛʀ 15 (edited)

Start from the beginning

I raised my brows, she was surprisingly talented at drawing but of all the possibilities to draw, why had she chosen a skull? ‘My sister’s weird’, I deemed hilariously as I rolled my eyes and ruffled her hair. She protested loudly and swatted my hands away.

“Go away Nene, I’m drawing!” She whined pathetically, trying to go back to filling in the rose petals with a deep shade of red.

“Yeah, I know”, I smirked until she groaned and tried to ignore me, “You’re not so bad at this whole thing though, maybe you’ll be an artist.”

“I don’t know what I want to do, I still have some time to figure things out”, Nina replied, and I patted her shoulder reassuringly.

“Don’t worry about it, you’re right, you have plenty of time”, I finished and left her alone to go to the kitchen.
We had some leftover pasta from last night, and I was way too lazy to make some fresh food, so I heated the meal up and asked if Nina wanted some too. She wasn’t hungry so once the food was heated and ready to eat, I sat down on a stool in the kitchen and started to gulf the food. My fork scraped along the plate, but I continued to guzzle the pasta on the utensil before shoving it into my mouth. I took my phone out and shuffled through Instagram in boredom.

A weird sound emitted from the stairs as I heard the clicking of heels coming down them. ‘No one apart from me wears heels and that’s because I work in the office, so I have to. Who on earth is wearing heels in this house?’

The shuffling of material accompanied the heel clicks and mom elegantly stepped into the living room. From my position in the kitchen, I could see her perfectly well and the view was astounding. Dressed in a beautiful pink knee length dress, the material flowed around her curves perfectly, adorned on her shoulders was a black blazer jacket and matched to it were black heels. Mom was wearing full glam makeup that made her look iridescently beautiful, her cheeks were blushed and highlighted, her lips a peachy pink and mascara and eyeshadow shined from the light above her.

My mouth opened in wide surprise at this new person standing there shyly in the living room. Nina had turned around as well and gaped at our mom, eyes wide like saucers, her colouring pencils spilling from her hand onto the ground. ‘She looks so different, where’s she going dressed like that?’ I thought confusingly.

After our dad left, skin care routines and stylish outfits became nothing of importance to our mom. She closed in on herself and made her family, meaning my sister and I, and work her main priority. Mom ended up sacrificing more for us than she ever gave herself, she was selfless. Most of the time she looked tired and dull, but right now mom was smiling like a blooming pink blossom tree. ‘She’s rocking the dress, but seriously where is she going?’

The silence in the living room and kitchen was deafening until Nina gathered the courage up to speak and she blurted, “Mom you look beautiful, really.”

Our moms’ eyes twinkled like sapphires as she did a small 360o and showed off her fashion choice, “You honestly think so? I wasn’t sure if I should wear this or some basic jeans and a black blouse”, She replied hesitantly.

“No, I like this style. I can’t remember the last time I saw you in a dress. Quick! Let’s take a photo of you!” Nina excitedly proposed as she picked herself up from the floor and ran to mom, grabbing her phone out to flick on the camera. Mom laughed at that and agreed, striking some cute poses and them some silly ones as they pretended to be on the Victoria secret model way.

During this time, I’d become agitated, fidgeting with the fork I was still holding and bouncing my foot up and down on the stool. I loved my mom, I truly did, but this was unknown territory for all of us. ‘What was she up to?’ I gathered the courage to blurt aloud one of the many questions I had on the tip of my tongue, “Where are you going, mom?”