Chapter 1

Whenever she felt anxious, nervous or scared, Margo would often try to picture herself alone in a dim room. She would have her eyes closed, inhaling slowly, feeling the air fall into her lungs.

But that wouldn't be much help to her now. She was quite literally all alone in a dim room, but instead with her hands chained to the ground.

"fes matos incendia." her breath trembled for the umpteenth time in attempt to light a candle in the place-or anything for that matter. Margo smelt metal and blood. The scent drove right into her skull, making her thoughts divert to concluding she was chained up in a slaughter room.

Desperation filled her stomach as she tried to figure out how she'd ended up in there, and more importantly-who'd brought her there. The last thing Margo could recall from before she'd awakened was standing in line for her evening coffee. She remembered waiting for her friends, Stefan and Caroline to join her. They were supposed to carry out an important deed. But, the strange part was that she couldn't seem to surface back into her head what that deed was.

"fes matos incendia." she trembled again.

"fes matos, incendia." her chants were growing louder and shakier every time she parted her dry lips. Margo somehow felt so powerless being chained to the ground. Unusually powerless.

Just as she was seconds away from losing hope and closing her metaphorical door, she heard the sound of an actual door opening from outside the slaughter room. The churning sound was followed by some slow footsteps, then a click, before a thin line of light shone across the ground, parallel to her gaze. The door. There seemed to be no use in attempting to escape from the chains she was bounded in. Her magic was useless to her for the moment.

A silhouette of feet moved around the crack of light at the base of the unseen exit. It was heading closer and she was growing more frightened. A hand fidgeted at the doorknob-almost as if the person was struggling to twist it, before the door was eased opened and swung further to the side with a soft kick.

Margo shielded her eyes with her shoulder at the sudden change of brightness. She heard a clicking sound before she realised the lights in the slaughter room turned on.

Margo blinked a few times and adjusted her sight to a figure leaning by the doorframe.

"Hey."

A boy greeted from the distance while shoving red Cheetos into his mouth.

"Morning Margo." he said airily. She took a few moments to scan the slaughter room only to conclude that it was in fact what looked like a garage.

"Who are you?" she asked trying to sound as fierce as she could, in attempt to hide how afraid she really was.

"Me?" he said with a stuffed face. He seemed to be mocking her. "I wanna know who you are first."

"What? But you just called me by my name."

"Yeah, I looked through your pockets and found your membership card to a chinese dim sum place. Hope you don't mind."

Margo was confused.

She had no memory of any recent events that could've gotten her to an empty garage, there was a boy who didn't know her holding her captive, and she could've sworn she left her dim sum card at home and not her pocket.

"Fes-"

"Oh, don't bother." he said interrupting her fragile attempt to escape. He dropped the bag of Cheetos to the ground and flicked his wrist. The door behind him slammed shut and locked at his command.

"I took your magic." he smirked grimly at her.

"You're a witch?"

"Witch, warlock, whatever."

Her magic was gone. That explained the disabled feeling she couldn't shake. It was as though part of her soul had been paralysed.

"Give it back!" she howled at the warlock while smacking the chains on the cold floor. She needed to escape. She felt more ready to breakout of the garage more than before.

"Don't worry, your magic will come back soon." he explained as if it wasn't a big deal. "Tell me who you are first."

Margo sat still. Her hair had fallen on her face from fighting the metal locks, breathing heavily and fast-From rage and from fear, she kept her mouth sealed and the boy could see she wasn't about to talk anytime soon.

He sighed and rolled his head. "Okay, maybe we got off on the wrong foot." he sat himself on the concrete floor right across her. "Hi, I'm Kai." he said and held his hand out to shake.

Margo didn't move. She remained staring at him instead. "This is the part where you say, hi Kai, nice to meet you, I'm Margo.", he mimicked in a girls voice before taking her hand into his to shake. She broke their grips and slid back.

There was a brief pause in the room before she was jerked forward again from a flick of Kai's fingers. He groped her arm and leaned in dangerously close to her.

"I'm trying to be nice." he exhaled in frustration while tightening his grip. Margo yelped at the pressure he was forcing.

"I'm not usually this nice to people, especially ones who try to kill me."

Margo felt lost. She didn't know this boy, let alone try to kill him.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"But you're an eyeful-" he said ignoring her question, in a surprisingly patient tone. He gently moved her strands of hair away from her face.

"So I'll try to be a little reserved for now." Kai slid his fingers down to her chin and lifted it slightly. He puckered his lips and teased a kiss in the space inches away from her mouth.

She jolted away from his touch and he responded in a twisted way, simply by laughing.

"5 minutes, then we'll try this again. Loosen those gorgeous lips a little." He smouldered from the doorway of the garage before leaving. Five minutes, she kept thinking. Not five minutes to talk, but five minutes to escape.

Having no magic wasn't going to stop Margo from breaking out. She searched around the messy garage for anything that could free her from the chains. There was a grass trimmer just slightly out of her reach. Five minutes. She slid her body along the floor until her feet could touch the sharp, heavy utensil. A grunt escaped her lips, before she managed to kick the rusty thing towards her.

She sat back up and grabbed the trimmer with her right hand before hastily smashing it into the left chain until it broke open.

The heavy metal fell to the floor with a clanking sound. Five minutes. She proceeded to free her right hand before rushing to the exit Kai had left through-without forgetting the grass trimmer.

She entered a narrow room that had a washing machine and some hangers, right next to a set of stairs. A laundry room? she thought. Margo didn't realise she was shaking until she heard the trimmer rattling in her hand.

"Deep breaths, Margo."

She ascended the staircase and gripped her weapon tight, then swung the door at the top of the staircase open.

She didn't know what she was expecting, but she wouldn't have guessed it was a home. And a luxurious one too. It was dark outside and she could hear a fireplace crackling to her left. She followed the noise, which lead her to an amused looking Kai, tauntingly clapping his hands.

"Five minutes exactly. Well done, Maggie."

"Margo."

He was spread out on a dark red sofa reading a magazine. "Sit." he gestured to the couch next to his.