"I think that might be the best option in this case. I have far too much work to do and I cannot do it from home, nor can Christopher. As long as Robert is willing, we have no problem with him keeping an eye on Rosie. He appears to be the only one she listens to," James said. From the across the room he turned his head to look at me and raised his eyebrow. I knew he was right.

"Need I remind you that I'm the one injured. There is no need to insult me," I said.

"It's not an insult, it's the truth."

"Robert? Are you still willing to stay?" Doctor Ealing asked.

I turned my head towards Robert and watched as his ears pricked up and his dead dart upwards at the sound of his name as though he hadn't been paying the slightest bit of attention. He appeared somewhat startled at the use of his own name and his father addressing him which confirmed that he hadn't heard a single thing anyone had said for the majority of the morning. I didn't blame him all that much.

"Yes, of course," he said, though I'm not sure he knew what he was responding to.

"Excellent. Three days in bed, Rosie. I'll be back to check on you then."

"I know, I know."

"You better stick to those instructions, I don't want to be here any sooner then I have to be."

"Don't worry, we'll keep an eye on her." James glared at me and I responded in a rather mature way, by sticking my tongue out at him. "I'll see you out. I should get to work, or I'll end up further behind. Rosie, stay in bed."

"Yes, Sir," I said in a mocking tone.

James shook his head slightly and I saw the slight trace of a smile on the corner of his lips as he gestured to the door. Doctor Ealing swung his bag off the nightstand and gave me a look, which I gave back to him purely because he didn't seem to trust me. I knew I hadn't been all that good at keeping to the advice he had given me, but I doubt that warranted such distrust. The last time I had a serious head injury I wished I could have stayed in bed for a few days, but at the factory that was not something we would ever have been allowed to do.

The two of them left the room with Kitty and Christopher following a little while late, but I saw the look they were giving me as they left. Once they were gone, it was just me and Robert alone in the room in an uncomfortable silence that neither of us wanted to break. He didn't know that I had heard everything he said just a few hours before and I had no intention of telling him that, not yet anyway. Before I left, talking to Robert had been one of the easiest things in my life but that had changed when I received my second infraction and he refused to see the damage he did by merely talking to me.

I shifted myself against the pillows and listened to the sounds that travelled through the window. The window had been propped up to allow some air to circulate inside and I could hear the horses on the ground and the low hum of conversation from people as they walked past on their way to work or out for a stroll to peruse the shops for something to buy. Although I enjoyed the quiet nature of the Ealing's house, I had gotten used to the sounds of movement and horses outside the factory and I was glad to have that back after six months.

"Can I ask you something?" Robert said, breaking the silence. My breath caught in my throat at the question he may ask.

"Of course," I said although I was less than certain with agreeing.

"Why do you have a dolls house in your room?" He pointed to the large wooden structure in the corner of the room. "I don't mean to pry, it's just an odd thing to have. Matilda moved hers to a spare room when she turned eight, something about being too mature for one."